Custom/Pearly Gate combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom/Pearly Gate combo?

Just thinking out loud here, but would the fact that the Custom has a ceramic magnet and a Pearly Gate an Alnico 2 bar have anything to do with making the sound darker when used together in a Les Paul? I'm wondering if I went to an Alnico 5 magnet-type pickup, like a Jazz, that I could get brighter sounds from that neck position? Or should those two types of magnets be used together in the first place? I've never been totally happy with what I hear from this combo.

-Bob

Re: Custom/Pearly Gate combo?

I'm going to try a little pickup height adj. here and see what happens. I'll report back in a few.
    -Bob

Comment

Increasing the pickup height helped a little, and also increased the brightness a little. The two pups sound better together than before the adj.
      I'm going to be ordering up a new TonePros bridge/tailpiece set for this axe before too long, and I'd be willing to bet that the upgrade will enhance the tone to some degree. Maybe this combo can find happiness together.
      I guess I could change the strings from these cheapo's I got from webstrings.com to a new set of D'Addarios I just bought for it and hear how they sound.

I should've named this thread, "Don't bother reading this thread, it's just me thinking to myself in a public way"....LOL.
      Hope this helps....lol.

Comment

Sounds like you have everything under control no need for us to throw you off track *grin*

Comment

Sounds like you are just trying to balence out your guitar right now. Don't know what sound your going for but you could go the other way...put an a2 in the custom and turn up the treb on the amp.
          Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Working...
          X