Lace Drop and Gain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lace Drop and Gain?

I'm looking for a pickup for my dropped C tuned down guitar and i saw the reviews on harmony central for the Lace Drop ang Gain and it looks very convincing.

Can anyone tell me anything better
    I found the Bridge and Neck set for 125.

Re: Lace Drop and Gain?

I'd take the Duncan Distortion set over a Lace Sensor pickup set.

That's just me, though.

Get the guaranteed best price on Solid Body Electric Guitars like the Gretsch Guitars G5135 Electromatic CVT Electric Guitar at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of...

Comment

I have them in my carvin and i tune down to B. I have to say that they work pretty well, and sound good, although their output may be well over the top. Because they have so much output, they drive an amp hard causing it to overdrive early( meaning you shouldn't really crank the gain more than like half way). Although the neck pickup is perfect. Honestly i haven't played anything else close to the beauty of that neck pickup. In retrospect if you want to do drop tunings, EMGs may be better designed for it than high output passive pickups. I definitely think that the drop and gains were a definite improvement over my carvin C22s, but I'm probably going to continue searching. I put them in a koa guitar. In a maple guitar they may be better but if you are looking for clarity go active and if you are looking for straight up chunk use some low or medium output pickups and boost the gain on your amp. People get hung up on output too often. What kind of woods are in your guitar anyway? I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

Cheers,
      George.

Comment

- Mahogany/rosewood neck, alder/maple body
        Its a Les paul special II

I mainly want to do heavy powerchording. Are emgs good for that?? or are passive better. im soo confused, so many pickups. But all i know is: my stock special II pickups suck.

I have a JB in my other guitar along with a Jazz. and i love it, but i want something more intense for my low tuned guitar.

Comment

I'd say go for an 85 in the bridge. That pickup is sick for power chording thick and defined. Although what amp do you play through? before i tell you anything definitive I should know what kind of gain structure you are working with.

Cheers,
          George.

Comment

I actually use them on a guitar in standard E, and I really like them (I play mostly thrash metal). They're great for this sort of music, because of their immense clarity and definition, even under really high gain; hence why they're marketed for drop tuners.

Dynamic range is excellent - being passive, there's no limit on headroom. They'll give as much or as little output as your right hand can. I've read someone else's description of the harmonics as very "glass bell-like", and I'd agree.

The bridge pickup has the most cut, and is brilliant for aggressive riffing or soloing. The neck pickup is much fatter (kind of an overwound PAF), good for clean arpeggios or smoother solos. (Of note is that the bridge and neck pickup match very nicely in volume.) The only real weakness is that when playing 5 or 6 string clean chords, the neck pickup can be almost too fat - clipping can become a problem. I generally use slightly compression on neck cleans for this reason.

Basically, I think they're a great combination of the characteristics of EMGs (especially the definition) and passives (dynamic range, slightly more organic character, especially in the neck). I think they're perfect for metal, and certainly drop-tuning.

Let me know if there's anything else I can answer
            Last edited by SpiderVenom; 01-26-2007, 11:25 AM.
            Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Comment

To me it seems that the drop and gain neck is exactly what I'm looking for. I've heard the bridge isn't anything spectacular though. Any recommendations for a bridge pickup that can compliment the lace neck pickup? I'm currently looking at the Duncan black winter and the railhammer anvil. I use a high gain amp and a baritone 6 tuned to drop a with 12 to 65 strings. I need something that can clean up great but still has the soul crushing ability of the active blackouts. Thanks for any input.

Comment

Working...
              X