banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much should I charge for session work?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much should I charge for session work?

I've been asked to record an album.

I was notified by the person who will be producing it as well as engineering it, etc.

This isn't some fancy major label production, it's a very independent kind of thing.

It's 8 songs (I know.. kind of a short LP but too long to call it an EP).

I'm to give complete creative output on what should go on the record or not. basically, I am being given the responsibility of how the guitars will sound, and what they will play. The client has the songs written, but wants the guitar parts re-imagined. Same chord progressions, but more thought out parts.

As the title of the thread states... how much should I charge? The client and his manager are serious about this, the day that I met them his manager spoke about compensation and said he believes in fair pay.

The person who will be in charge of the recording is charging him $300 for the first song, and $250 for every song after that. I believe that price is for the ENTIRE production of said song, from start to master. We aren't professionals in the sense that we don't have tons of gear.. but I want to get my fair share, you know?

Re: How much should I charge for session work?

One million dollars.....stick it to the man!

Comment

My completely non-pro opinion on the matter is:

I'd research your local musician's union's scale charts, just to get an idea of what they think you should be making. Then adjust for the circumstances of this particular project. For instance, you aren't a member of the union, you aren't an established studio musician, and this is obviously a somewhat low-budget project, so I'd think it would be fair for them to pay you less than "scale." It's a good leg in the door, and as long as you get at least some pay in this situation, I don't think you are being totally taken advantage of.

FWIW, I am not a union member, and I have recorded single tracks on bass, guitar, banjo, and harmonica for singer/songwriters for $50 a song. Sure, I should have been paid more in theory, but in my non-pro position, working for locals who I personally knew, and who had no budget to speak of, it seemed pretty fair to me. I averaged at least $40 an hour in these cases, even once you factor in learning the simple songs, travel time, etc. I didn't think it was bad for a non-pro playing tracks for nobodies.

Good luck! Break a leg.
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-15-2012, 06:06 AM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

How much to charge is highly dependent on the situation. You should at least cover your beer money, though. Questions I'd ask myself are:

Q: Have you heard the music yet? Is it any good, or is this a mission of mercy?
        Q: Are the band members & manager cool, or will they be difficult to work with?
        Q: How much time/effort do they expect you to put in to do all of this?
        Q: How quickly do they expect you to finish? (i.e.: Are you on a deadline?)
        Q: Will you be playing, or just doing the arrangements for other players?
        Q: Will you be ghost-writing, or will you get credited in the liner notes?
        Q: Flat rate (probably) or will you get any royalties?

From what you've said already, it sounds like Itsa is closer than Lats in terms of what you can expect for compensation. But if the album goes triple platinum, you'll at least want your name on it. Maybe you want a contingency clause in case they hit it big?

Set your expectations that this will probably be just a learning experience for you and you won't be disappointed by any outcome.
        Originally posted by DreX
        Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
        The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
        There's no substance to anything I have posted.
        Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
        I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
          But if the album goes triple platinum, you'll at least want your name on it. Maybe you want a contingency clause in case they hit it big?
          It's a good point. I don't know if they will credit you (traditionally, studio musicians are not credited, though they are sometimes). But you can at least ask for a contract giving you a fair percentage for any mechanical royalties that might come about.

Say one of those songs is a freak hit in local dance clubs for a few weeks, they happen to sell out of all 5,000 copies of the single that were pressed, then it fades into obscurity. Let's say they clear $10,000 from the sales, and your contract states that for your contribution, you will get one percent of the net. Well, that's an extra $100 in your pocket.

Then say that years later, a compilation is released that contains the greatest local dance club hits of the past 10 years, and that song is on it. The song is one of 10, and 10,000 copies sell for 5 bucks a piece wholesale. The song you are on accounts for $5,000 of the gross. The contract says that the publishing company who owns the right to the songs gets half of the gross: $2,500. After taxes, say they net $2,000. Well, ten years after doing any actual work on the project, you get an unexpected check in the mail for $20.

I am just pulling these numbers out of my butt to make a point...and obviously you can't make a living doing this unless you play on lots of tracks that are very popular...but it's sure a hell of a lot better than a kick in the head. My step mom was a backup singer for Jimmy Buffet, and co-wrote a few songs, including "Fins." She has been getting royalty checks twice a year since then, and she will continue to do so for the rest of her life. Sometimes they are hilarious, like the one she got for 20-something cents one time. And other times, say in a year that a collection CD was released, she might get a check for $5,000.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-15-2012, 06:43 AM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

WHY DID I PUT THIS IN THE TRADING POST IF IT GOES IN THE OFF TOPIC SECTION THE THREAD WILL BE KILLED AND BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE YOUR RESPONSES HAVE BEEN READ THANK YOU

Comment

This is a discussion about the value of trading your skills, so I don't think it's OT. YMMV...
              Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
              The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
              There's no substance to anything I have posted.
              Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
              I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Less than Danny Gatton, but more than minimum wage...
                "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
                  This is a discussion about the value of trading your skills, so I don't think it's OT. YMMV...
                  lol thread closed

Comment

Working...
                  X