1976 GIBSON MARAUDER CUSTOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 GIBSON MARAUDER CUSTOM

You don't see too many of these around anymore....because there weren't a lot of them made.   The ones you see are usually tobacco burst. 

A 1976 Marauder Custom in Heritage Cherry burst. 

This is a players grade guitar...many dings and scratches.   But no breaks of repairs.  original Gibson case included.

It has had some parts changed.  Tuners have been changed, harmonica bridge has been changed, wiring harness has been changed (original harness included)  Original pickguard has been replaced (original included)

As far as I can tell, everything else is original....pickups, finish, neck, case, tailpiece, nut and knobs.

This guitar has a master volume and a master tone.  The middle pot is a blend pot to blend the 2 pickups together or isolate them individually. 

The bridge pickup is very "stratty".  The neck pickup is very fat....when blended with the bridge pickup, it has a great quack....a very unique tone.

The neck is a medium C carve.   It weighs in at 8.25 lbs

Vintage price guide puts these at $1550, but given the swapped parts, i'm gonna let this one go for $1000 plus shipping.

Thanks for looking!

I'm just a few hundred lessons away from being a great guitar player.......

Re: 1976 GIBSON MARAUDER CUSTOM

How in God's name are those still collectable?
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

They're overlooked guitars and they have legit pickups.

Neck profile is a little big for me, but they sound awesome.

I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet, if this was a Sonex, The Paul, or Invader it'd be gone by now.

Remember when Sonex guitars sold for like $199 on eBay?

Comment

I remember when Sonex stuff hung on the rack for years. With good reason.

The Marauder isn't a bad axe, after all - the pickups are Bill Lawrence designed... it's just kinda homely, and a little weird for a Gibson. The S-1 was weirder.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

The pickups are insanely good

Comment

The first two Gibson's that I ever owned were a 76 Marauder & a 74 L6-S, I was about 16 IIRC...

Believe it or not I got the both of them in trade for a single early 90's Godin Super Strat!!! Granted this was in the early 90's so the Godin was only a year or so old at the time but it was still a crazy good deal on my end!!! The kid I traded with was a big Matalica fan & the Godin looked a bit more "METAL" than the Gibson's his father had given to him so he happily swapped with me. LOL, I'd imagine the old man was kinda Pi$$ed when he found out???

They were both great sounding guitars, albeit kinda strange for Gibson!!! I remember the L6-S had great bite & sounded fantastic distorted, while the Marauder gave up some great clean or lightly distorted tones!!! The only real problem I had with them design wise was that they both had very thin fret wire & since they'd be played quite a bit before I got them the frets had worn out in a few spots...

Unfortunately at that time in my life I had neither the know how or funds to have them repaired properly so I ended up trading them in for something more a bit more playable. After playing them with super high action to combat the fret wear issues for about a year those two guitars were traded in for my very first USA Fender Stratocaster & a Fender Twin which was my main rig for the better part of a decade!!!

As for this MARAUDER, I'm kinda blown away by how great the fretboard looks!!! Whoever the former owner was either didn't play it much or had a pretty light fretting hand! Ever since I traded mine I tend to take notice when I come across these. A lot of the L6-S's, Marauder's, other funky 70's Gibbys, that I've seen since have had awful fret wear & been almost down to the fingerboard right around that A major pentatonic area....

Definitely a cool guitar for the Gibson enthusiast who's looking for something a bit different!!! Good luck with the sale man.....
            I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

TTT

Comment

Am I the only one who sees 18 pictures of the same kitten? The fluffy little guy tells me to click over to Photobucket, where lots of ads bring my browser to a standstill, but I still see no actual photos of a Gibson Marauder.
                Last edited by Rich_S; 10-01-2017, 08:48 PM.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Sorry. It's sold

Comment

Working...
                  X