Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTT: SD 59 Neck w/ long legs for short legs

Hello!

I recently refinished and upgraded my son's Epi SG.

I was given a brand new set of SD 59's, black open coils, but the neck as long legs and doesn't fit in the body.

While I could drill out the body a bit more to accommodate the pickups, I think a swap would be better.

This was a brand new pickup until I installed it.

I did not cut the leads, but left them fully intact.

Does anyone have a neck SD 59 with short legs they'd trade for the same pickup with long legs?

I'd accept something similar as well.

Re: WTT: SD 59 Neck w/ long legs for short legs

If you bought it new you should be sble to do an exchange. I got a short leg 59 for my
    Strat because they had some oem ones in stock. Give mppem a call you might have ogood luck
    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

The Epi comes with shorter pickup rings. A set of taller vintage spec rings should give you the clearance you need. I say this assuming the route is the same depth as the Gibson SG
      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

They were brand new pickups, but not purchased by me. A friend sent them to me, still in the box.

Comment

I don't have an issue with the pickup rings. This Epi was a SG Pro, so it had the Batwing pickguard. I switched to pickup rings, but found the neck pickup legs to be too long. I don't want to drill out the body because SG's are already thin to begin with and don't want accidentally drill through the body.

Comment

Is it the legs that are too long or just the adjustment screws?

You can clip off the adjustment screws if they’re the problem.

I have to do that anytime I swap pickups in a PRS.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

If I open one of mine up to measure, how long are long legs, and how long are short legs?

Mine are black open coils in an Epi Explorer GT. Smaller body than a standard Explorer, but still deeper that an SG I think. I'll have to compare it to my Epi SG.

Comment

Working...
              X