banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hurricane Katrin Raffle - $1000+ package!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hurricane Katrin Raffle - $1000+ package!

Looking at the website in detail it seems to be legit. You can mail red cross donation receipts to him in lieu of the $15.

For future reference though, references to raffles in web forums with no real information is a red flag for a scam.

Good luck if it is indeed a good cause.

Comment

$15 DONATION:

(YOU CAN ENTER AS MANY TIMES AS YOU LIKE)

YOU CAN ALSO MAIL A $15 CERTIFIED CHECK/MONEY ORDER

OR RED CROSS RECEIPT OF $15 OR MORE TO:

LAVA CABLE, P.O. BOX 26329, FAYETTEVILLE, NC 28314

Note: In the interest of Full Disclosure, a complete list (partial email address) of all entries along with receipt from the Red Cross and copy of check will be published on website once raffle is complete.

TOTAL DONATED AS OF 8 SEPTEMBER:

$2,010.00

*EDIT* This is cut and pasted from the lava cable website....it looks pretty legit to me.....
      Last edited by groupiegirl; 09-08-2005, 09:53 PM.
      Originally posted by Briand
      keeping Steph in-line is dang near an all day job.
      Originally posted by OneSecksieGearJoneser
      Happy birthday darlin! If I had the X Files on DVD, I'd send it your way. I'm generous like that.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone
        Doubters should check his website, there is a link in his signature. I don't know the guy, but it looks like a legit site.

Roger
        Ok. Call me cynical, but I'm supposed to take a new member at his word as he solicits donations, and the primary support for him comes from someone with 12 posts.

I think I'll wait and see on this one.
        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

caveat emptor... use a third party everyone trusts to handle the cash, then you'll create some trust. my hat's off to you for your efforts. what percentage will you be keeping for your administrative costs?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Maybe you should slow your reading down just a little bit....I appreciate your caution but take a look at what this SAYS:

YOU CAN ALSO MAIL A $15 CERTIFIED CHECK/MONEY ORDER

OR RED CROSS RECEIPT OF $15 OR MORE TO:

That second line means that you can send YOUR reciept of a donation to him and he will enter you into the raffle. How legit can you get??
            It is a good way to get his business's name out, it is worth the money in advertising for him to do so. Maybe that is smarmy, but it isn't a con.

Now if you check his website you will find a page listing dealers, with websites. Did he post those sites too?
            ....has it occurred to you that maybe he is a distributor? There are company's out there that will produce a product and let you put YOUR name on it. I don't have any idea about him or his product but his site also says that Lava Cable is a member of NAMM, that is a verifiable statement.

Do a LITTLE homework before you start slamming people.....
            Originally posted by Briand
            keeping Steph in-line is dang near an all day job.
            Originally posted by OneSecksieGearJoneser
            Happy birthday darlin! If I had the X Files on DVD, I'd send it your way. I'm generous like that.

Comment

He/she is new, so we don't know him. That doesn't give us a chance to say 'we don't believe him' straight up. Check it out first, and if you still don't know, don't touch it.
              Originally posted by Kanye West
              Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat
                Ok. Call me cynical, but I'm supposed to take a new member at his word as he solicits donations, and the primary support for him comes from someone with 12 posts.

I think I'll wait and see on this one.
                Sorry, take it for what it's worth, I used to post here alot but have been away. Your doubts about me are okay, I just checked his site and it's looks legit to me.

Yes, I did post a link to another raffle that is legit, but again, check it out and decide for yourself. I don't have anything to do with either one of them, I was just passing on info.

So, I'll check out of this now, you guys decide what you want, but check details before slamming someone (not me, I don't care, talking about the raffles). I was just trying to pass on some cool info with the one I posted. The advantage of doing a raffle, at least as Jim Soloway is doing (I know his is legit, he did it for Tsunami relief also) is that it will generate alot more $ than just donating the sale of one guitar or something. It will also get alot of people to donate that wouldn't have otherwise. For the record, I did buy one of his raffle tickets, a few days after I had already sent $$$ (the first number is not a 1) to the Red Cross. If the Lava cables guy is letting you submit a Red Cross reciept in lew of sending him money, what have you got to loose? I would say that he is being the trusting one here, it's easier to forge a reciept than build a website.

I also notice that the age of most of the early doubters was </=25 or so, ouch, the cynicism of this generation, so how much did you send to help on your own? If you know/knew that the raffle is legit, would you enter just for the chance to win some cool stuff or because it is going to a good cause? It's bad when someone is trying to do something good and gets slammed for it. Scams usually reek, this one doesn't, a little time, investigation, and thought spent on your part would have told you that before you started slamming it. He has a link in his sig, did you check that before you blasted him?

I'm out of this thread, enjoy, if you don't want to buy a raffle ticket, fine, do something, $5 will help, these people down there are hurting and will be for a long time to come, every little bit helps. I'm also thinking of selling some of my stuff to buy some equipment to send down there per Jeremy's post at the top of the page. No, I don't think I'm holier that thou at all, but I have a house, and a car, and a job, and the thoughts of losing everything is frightening.

Roger
                Last edited by devastone; 09-09-2005, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Bump - updated see first post
                  Lava Man
                  Lava Cable
                  Your One-Stop High End Custom Cable Shop

Comment

I don't really get it...is everything under the grand prize section going to go to one person or is each item considered a grand prize? What about the second and third?

Comment

Well, this is probably no good, because I have very little posts too, but I really do want to give some credit to Lava Man. On another board I visit (taboramaforum.com, been hanging there since I started :P) he offered a free sample cable for a few people who would review him, and I got one, being in Europe and all, so one thing that's for sure (at least for me) is that his cable-business is as real as it can get

Comment

Yeah ,no need to bad mouth the post .Just don't donate if you feel anyway that it is not legit.How hard can that be.Don't donate if you don't feel comfortable,but you also don't have to post any negative comments either,I'm sure everyone here's grown adults and should be able to make up their own minds without crying about it.
                        2004 Jackson Stars Rhoads Custom
                        2004 Jackson Randy Rhoads Legend
                        2004 Jackson DXMGT parts guitar
                        1996 Charvel Les Paul (Japan Only)Black
                        1996 Charvel Les Paul (Japan only)Silver
                        1992 Jackson Rhoads EX Professional Series
                        1987 Charvel Model 6
                        1987 Charvel Model 2 modded.
                        1983 Charvel Star with Model 4 neck

Comment

Re: Hurricane Katrin Raffle - $3400+ package!

Most of the prizes have arrived. More than $4,100 now raised. Drawing will be held on Oct 3rd. Thanks to all who have particiapeted
                          Lava Man
                          Lava Cable

Comment

Raffle complete - see 1st post.
                            Lava Man
                            Lava Cable

Comment

Working...
                            X