Handmade ultra-Strat husk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handmade ultra-Strat husk

This started as a mahogany bodied Strat I was building back in 1988. One of my part-timers wanted to complete it, so I let him take over - and he went crazy carving and routing it into something completely new and unique. The neck started as a Performance Guitar Strat neck - maple and rosewood, with the old Gibson wide-flat style fretwire (still in good shape). It was glued into the mahogany body with Titebond at a 4 degree angle. It's still holding, but you can see the witness lines in the finish where he carved all the bevels. The truss rod adjustment at the heel is a Kahler piece.

As you can see from the pix, it's been carved to an extreme point - leaving a very light combination. He routed it for a Duncan HSS set and a Gibson style Kahler whammy. The controls are a 3 way switch, a tap switch, and a volume knob. The jack was from an Ibanez - with the little "anus" on the side. He filled the grain and sealed the whole guitar with CA glue, and then primed it with gray automotive primer and used Krylon acrylic poly for the finish. It was assembled in 1989, and he gigged with it around Kansas for a couple years. Sometime in the early 2000's, he pulled all the hardware and used it on some of his other guitars, and it languished until last year when he traded it to me for some fret work.

I am already buried in projects, and this one could be revived with a minimum of work - simply putting hardware back on it and stringing it up. Or you could strip it and refinish it. The neck is not under tension and is basically straight right now. Look interesting? I'm thinking $250, plus actual shipping (around $70, maybe?) to the lower 48 states. Pix to follow in other posts. I have about 30, but I won't post them all.
    Last edited by ICTGoober; 03-12-2022, 07:51 PM.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Click image for larger version

Name:	eARXXC7.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	6157657 Click image for larger version

Name:	y1srbP9.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	6157658 Click image for larger version

Name:	rBZ9Z2N.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	6157659 Here are three views.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2vy9GWy.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	6157661 Click image for larger version

Name:	fk7tyhf.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	6157662

And three more.
      Attached Files

Comment

If you didn't want to use a Kahler, you could fill the hole and install traditional tailpiece and Tune-A-Matic combination. The back of the peghead looks pretty funky. He superglued one of those rubber magnets on the back to hold his allen wrenches. I can't recall exactly, but I think the string lock behind the nut was an Allparts unit. Please feel free to pummel me with questions about this axe. I would pack it nicely for a safe trip to your address.

Comment

I would encourage them to see it through to completion at their cost. Because if it has sat around since 1988 unfinished do you really need to be reimbursed for it?

Comment

Try reading and comprehending THE WHOLE POST.

Comment

Looks cool!
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Any interest at all? Lower price?

Comment

Last chance before it goes back in the vault.

Comment

Bump.

Comment

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!
                      I love this forum.
                      Last edited by ICTGoober; 01-19-2024, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X