FS: 4 Jan Phillips 12AT7 tubes $50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS: 4 Jan Phillips 12AT7 tubes $50

I ended up with too many of these than I will ever use, trying to get rid of a few. New working order. Will ship all 4 tubes to Continental USA for $50 or $10 each plus $10 shipping.
    Attached Files
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

How are they compared to 12AX7's output wise.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

12AT7s (a.k.a. ECC81) are a power factor of 60. 12AX7s are a power factor of 100. That is not a percentage, is a factor, or multiplier of whatever voltage it sees coming in.

Also have to consider, the 12AT7 is 250V 10mA plate with a -12v grid, transconductance is 5500 mhos, whereas a 12AX7 is 250v 1.2mA plate with a -2v grid and 1600 mhos transconductance.

Probably the best layman description for guitarists would be to say the 12AT7 is like turning the gain down by 2-3 numbers on the dial. But that's only if you are using it in V1. If you are using it in the phase inverter (V4 or V3, depending on the circuit), it's not changing the gain but the response of the amp.

(Calling Ewizard...)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        12AT7s (a.k.a. ECC81) are a power factor of 60. 12AX7s are a power factor of 100. That is not a percentage, is a factor, or multiplier of whatever voltage it sees coming in.

Also have to consider, the 12AT7 is 250V 10mA plate with a -12v grid, transconductance is 5500 mhos, whereas a 12AX7 is 250v 1.2mA plate with a -2v grid and 1600 mhos transconductance.

Probably the best layman description for guitarists would be to say the 12AT7 is like turning the gain down by 2-3 numbers on the dial. But that's only if you are using it in V1. If you are using it in the phase inverter (V4 or V3, depending on the circuit), it's not changing the gain but the response of the amp.

(Calling Ewizard...)
        Right. I was just wondering if it is more or less powerful than the 12AU7.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Right. I was just wondering if it is more or less powerful than the 12AU7.

For anyone's future reference, here's a list of common dual triodes sorted by their power factors
          12AX7 - 100
          12AT7 - 60
          12AZ7 - 60
          12AY7 - 44
          12AV7 - 41
          12AU7 - 20
          12BH7 - 17

7025 - 100
          6681 - 100
          5751 - 70
          6072 - 44
          5814 - 20
          6189 - 17

CV4004 - 95
          CV4024 - 60

Sorry for derailing the OP, but if it helps make a decision for the sale...

Comment

If you're not using your amp's input drive at ten (and who really does?), an AT7 is a good option.
            The vintage Phillips are excellent sounding tubes, and the JAN designation means robust military-spec construction.
            This is a great deal folks.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I have been using 80's production Kodak labeled real Blackburn Mullard 4024's as loop or reverb drivers in several amps. These are the US equivalent and a great deal. Need to look in my tube box to see how many of the Mullards I have left. May grab these depending. These should work well in particular as reverb drives loop drivers and phase inverters.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Update - there are still 3 available at this time. $10 each plus $10 shipping or $40 for all 3 shipped.
                But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

3 still available - $40 shipped or $10 each plus $10 shipping.

Comment

Meow...

Comment

There are 2 of these JAN Phillips 12AT7 tubes left. $30 shipped to USA.

Comment

these are some of my favorite pi tubes, especially in bf/sf fender amps. if i didnt have a stash, id have grabbed all four. great tubes!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          these are some of my favorite pi tubes, especially in bf/sf fender amps. if i didnt have a stash, id have grabbed all four. great tubes!!
                          What would replacing a 12ax7 in the PI position with one of these do?

Comment

the bf/sf amps im referring to all call for a 12at7 as the pi, but if you took a fender hot rod (which calls for a 12ax7) and put a 12at7 in there youd get a cleaner sound at the same volume setting, meaning the 12ax7 will break up earlier in most cases. it somewhat depends on what amp it is since not at pi circuits are the same

Comment

2 still available- $30 shipped to USA

Comment

Working...
                              X