X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jmh151
    replied
    Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series Feature's Hamer's Jol Dantzig

Any plans on bringing back the 27 fret solid flamed maple Californian, or was it a limited edition due to the availablity of wood?

Leave a comment:

• MikeRocker
    replied

Hello Jol, thank you for taking the time to do this!

I wondered what your thoughts were on the advantages/disadvantages of using quartersawn vs. flat sawn wood in necks. Also, do you have a general preference as far as neck radius?

Leave a comment:

• Jol Dantzig
    replied

Originally posted by cmatthes View Post
    More subjective stuff for you...

As guitarists, we all seem to have that elusive "perfect tone" in our heads that most of us strive to attain with varying degrees of success either through playing technique, gear tweaking or both.

Do you have that internal, nirvana tone that you are able to put into words and if so, has that had any influence on your guitar designs or pickup choices?

Also, is there a particular recorded example or a particular player's tone that just hit you in the gut as a "WOW!" moment (in your formative years or even more recently)?
    The funny thing about emulating tone is that unless the tone you are trying to get is something that you've actuall witnessed in person, live... all bets are off. I used to listen to recordings and then try to get the sounds on those recordings. Later, when I worked in studios, I realized that what I heard on my stereo was quite different from what the guitarist heard in the studio. I started just trying to please myself in the moment and concentrate on feeling the music instead of the tone. Of course, this only works for a while! Then I have to try a new guitar, amp or pickup! Oh well.

Some of the guys I liked were Ike Turner on the original Cobra recordings of Otis Rush and people like Tiny Grimes who had awesome sound.

Later, Peter Green and Danny Kirwan were guys who wowed me. I always liked players who were distinguishable in a few notes.

Leave a comment:

• ex-250
    replied

Jol,

My absolute favorite/dream guitar is one of yours- the red vector made for KK downing around 2004 (though he could've very well had it earlier, but was first seen with it around the time of the reunion with halford).

as lots of people from this board can tell you, ive been completely obsessed with this guitar since the first time i saw it.

now for my questions...

-when he first got that guitar, both pickups were chrome-covered duncans, later switched out for EMGs. do you recall what duncans were in it originally? yes...i actually asked if you remember what pickups you put in one specific guitar made 6 years ago. haha, sorry, can't hurt to ask though. in a guitar world interview, glenn said they were "wound for the extra midrange that [ken] likes," so i wasn't sure if they were just a middy model of duncan's regular line or if they were something from the custom shop.

-both glenn & KK have had EMGs in all their hamers for quite some time, are they installed for 9v or 18v?

-i just saw this guitar for the first time recently...

appears to be just like his other one except with a kahler, gold finish, binding, and no jack plate on the bottom wing. is this a new build, or something from earlier that just hasn't been seen before?

-echoing anti-matthes' question, what ever happened to that off-white custom build for glenn tipton? i really enjoyed watching the progress on your blog and was looking forward to seeing the finished product.

thanks for taking the time to do this, and sorry for my barrage of really specific questions on priest guitars

Leave a comment:

• Lazarus1140
    replied

Jol, As so many have said, thanks for sharing this time with us! I can honestly say, the only guitar that I no longer own but truly miss is an FM Special.

Do you see an advantage to using the PLEK technology for set-ups? I mean, do you believe a skilled luthier properly trained and using a PLEK machine might have an advantage over an equally skilled technician who does not use it?

Thanks again for your insight and contribution to the world of guitars!

Leave a comment:

• Jol Dantzig
    replied

Originally posted by BigJoe77 View Post
    What would you say is the most common mistake you have seen people making when selecting, modding, or setting up their gear?

Or, put another way, if there is one piece of information that you could impart to to people in relation to their equipment, what would it be.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Get the best you can afford, maybe more than you can afford. Then don't blame the equipment for your lack of experience, just play the heck out of it. Every instrument has something to offer, you just need to get with people who have more experience than you do to learn how to bend the instrument to your will. Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Leave a comment:

• cmatthes
    replied

More subjective stuff for you...

As guitarists, we all seem to have that elusive "perfect tone" in our heads that most of us strive to attain with varying degrees of success either through playing technique, gear tweaking or both.

Do you have that internal, nirvana tone that you are able to put into words and if so, has that had any influence on your guitar designs or pickup choices?

Also, is there a particular recorded example or a particular player's tone that just hit you in the gut as a "WOW!" moment (in your formative years or even more recently)?

Leave a comment:

• Jol Dantzig
    replied

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
    Jol,
    First, it's truly an honor! I've lusted for Hamers since I was a teenager and couldnt afford any. My current dream guitar that I am going to treat myself to when my chops are more proficient, is a Hamer Standard with a black quilt top. (Im also very tempted by a blue stain they have at one of the online dealers!) To me, that is the Grail!
    My first question: That certain online dealer sells a Standard model that is tone chambered. How does this alter the tone? And do you believe it is an improvement to the tone? I dont care for the chambered bodies that Ive played of the LPs, but havent been able to play the Standards. Is the chambering going to become a standard design feature?

Speaking of the imports, how involved is Hamer in the import line? No offense, but I was less than impressed by some of the Slammer and low end models a few years ago. So Im leary of going after the Import Cali or Scarabs since I cant play them first.
    What is next for Hamer?

I thank you for your time! All the best for continued success! And PLEASE don't discontinue the Standard!!!

All Standards are chambered as stock now. The option remains to order one without the chambers. The reasoning is that we were getting more and more requests for them, so we experimented with different chamber ideas until we came up with the one we have now. I thought that it really brought more life to an already impressive instrument, so we've made it a "permanent" change. It's a series if small elongated channels oriented in an "X" pattern similar to an acoustic guitar in order to maintain stiffness. It also removes an average of 1.4 lbs per guitar which is important to a lot of players.

As for the imports... we've discontinued the Slammer line because there was no need for it. The Imports in general serve a valuable business purpose when done correctly. It is my hope to make a direct correlation between what we do at the high end, and what we do with the more affordable guitars. My focus is purely on the American made stuff, but I'm thinking that this will change over time now that we have a different organization.

Leave a comment:

• Fender_Punk
    replied

what is your opinion of carbon fibre guitars?

Do you think carbon fibre will ultimately replace all tonewoods in the construction of guitars (for whatever reasons) or do you think there will always be guitars built using wood?

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!
    Last edited by Fender_Punk; 09-09-2009, 02:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jol Dantzig
    replied

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
    Mr. Dantzig,

Firstly, thank you very much for taking time to come and answer our questions, up to now, this has been a very interesting and informative read.

I have a very basic question, but I always like to ask it to get some perspective.

If I was to ask you to recommend me a guitar that was to be my main instrument, knowing nothing about my particular style and taste in guitars, what would you suggest within your instrument line? Why would this instrument be your recommendation?

Thanks,
    Phil
    This is a hypothetical case that runs against my nature. There is no one perfect guitar, and everyone's needs are somewhat different. If I was forced at gunpoint to choose for you, I would probably say the Talladega, because it really covers a lot of ground sonically, and it's very very musical when played clean but it stands up to a lot of distortion too. If you've ever heard the Greg V soundclips, they prove my point. Sound clips here

Leave a comment:

• Jeffrec
    replied

Jol,

Hi. Just wanted to thank you for all the great info. and candid responses. (Great questions too, guys)

I've been a huge fan of Hamer guitars for quite a while. I also have one of the 1st two prototypes for the Sunburst Archtop model (confirmed by Kim Keller a number of years back). It's a '91 I believe, and is all mahogany, with a mahogany top instead of the usual maple cap. Sounds absolutely incredible.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Jol Dantzig
    replied

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
    Hi Jol!! Super nice of you to donate your precious time for us!!

1. What guitar(s) inspired you to build because you knew you could do a better job?

2. What guitar(s) inspired you to build because you hoped to be able to make a guitar as well one day?

3. The idea of cutting a neck blank in half and inverting one side so the twisting force is evened out is brilliant. Did you come up with that one? Either way, kudos for implementing it.

-Tom
    It seems hard to believe today that when we started out, there were no "custom" or boutique shops as we know them today. The large manufacturers were the only real choices, and they had grown to the point where their products were lacking quality. We started as a vintage guitar shop that did restorations too, so in effect, everything we did was to improve upon what was available at the time. Our first guitars were an alternative to a vintage guitar, and an upgrade from a mass produced guitar. It's still the same today.

Yes, the "stressed neck" system is something that grew from my love of architecture, it's a builder's trick to get natural forces to help you. We've been building that way since 1980.

Leave a comment:

• BTMN
    replied

Hi Jol - Thanks for all the great years of guitars. I have been a Hamer Fan since '76 and a Hamer owner since '82, a '79 Standard.
    My Standard was owned by Dave Hlubek. Any cool recollections of working with him and how many of the Confedrate Flag Standards do you recall making for them?

I have other questions but I got only a minute here at work. Look forawrd to reading the thread at home tonight after work.

THANKS AGAIN For Stopping In.

Leave a comment:

• beandip
    replied

Originally posted by StalePretzel View Post
    Dear Jol, i've never really had much money to invest in guitar repair. If something was wrong I always had to learn to fix it, or live with it. From someone who is pulling his hair out due to stress, could you maybe explain some home-style methods of shaping and slotting a nut on a guitar. It would be very helpful. Thank you very much.

-=Stale=-

done for fellow bros on the forum, and can be completed with simple household items.

Of course you won't get amazing professional results, but you'll get a lot better than "ok".

Leave a comment:

• StalePretzel
    replied

Dear Jol, i've never really had much money to invest in guitar repair. If something was wrong I always had to learn to fix it, or live with it. From someone who is pulling his hair out due to stress, could you maybe explain some home-style methods of shaping and slotting a nut on a guitar. It would be very helpful. Thank you very much.

-=Stale=-

Leave a comment:

Working...
X