X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: THE WELL: For Real This Time...I'm an Open Book

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post

I'm going to try and describe both the tone and the style I'd like to achieve, since I have a difficult time separating the two.

I'm very impressed with the technical prowess of shredders -- the speed picking, legato style, sweeps, two-handed tapping…all those goodies. I'd love to have that level of skill at my disposal. That said, the ability to shred is not at the top of my list. I would much prefer to play music that sound more conversational and introspective. Perhaps "moody" is a better word to describe the sound and style I'm after.

I like a tone that has a sharp attack, twang, grit and natural compression. It's probably somewhere between Eddie Van Halen's brown sound and Albert Collins' ice pick. I've heard countless guitar tones that I absolutely love, but finding the one I can truly call "Keith's tone" has eluded me thus far. I like so many tones and styles, which is both a boon and a bane. Perhaps I'm a bit too fickle.

Am I answering the question the right way, or have I lost you? Let me know if you're looking for something different from your question.
    I would answer this question the same. Now I don't know weather I want to punch you or hug you: The way I describe my desirable tone is also Albert Collins meets Eddie Van Halen...

And like you - I also have too many other tones that I could go for, mainly SRV and Knopfler for cleans and Buddy Guy Santana and Blackmore for driven tones - but yeah, Albert Collins meets EVH is also my idea for great tone, always was.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyGuitar View Post
      I would answer this question the same. Now I don't know weather I want to punch you or hug you: The way I describe my desirable tone is also Albert Collins meets Eddie Van Halen...

And like you - I also have too many other tones that I could go for, mainly SRV and Knopfler for cleans and Buddy Guy Santana and Blackmore for driven tones - but yeah, Albert Collins meets EVH is also my idea for great tone, always was.

You and I are kindred spirits, bro! I almost mentioned SRV and Ritchie Blackmore, but I figured the list was getting too long as it is.

Hey, if one of us comes up with the mystical Eddie Van Collins tone, he has to share it with the other one.
      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
      I am just jug the merlot

Comment

If someone does find the Eddie Van Collins tone, would it be considered "Brown Picker?"

More sleep needed.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
          Who would build your signature guitar, and what would its specs be?
          Garsh, I like about as many guitars as I do artists! That makes it tough to pick one ultimate signature guitar. I also don't have the kind of technical knowledge about guitars that someone like Jeremy or Gearjoneser does to know what specs would work best for me.

That said, I'll give it a shot:

Starting with the neck, I tend to prefer Fender's (Strat) scale length over Gibson's (Les Paul), so the length would have to be 25-1/2". I also love the look, feel and tone of a maple fretboard. I don't want dots or any inlays on the neck other than something at the 12th fret. The design at the 12th fret on the Johnny Hiland signature model is nice, so I'd want to have something like that, but no other dots; perhaps some tiny pinpoint markers on the side of the fretboard. The neck would have to be bird's eye maple, because that's just too cool. Twenty-two frets are enough for me. As for neck radius, honestly I'm not sure, but probably something on the wider end; a 7-1/4" neck radius might be too contoured for my liking. Neck shape is probably a classic "C"; again, I'm not sure because I haven't tried enough of a variety of shapes to know what fits my hands most perfectly. Can I get back to you on the neck shape and radius?

For the body, I want to get away with a Telecaster shape with traditional blonde finish and black pickguard, but I'd like it to be offered in a vintage burst with pearloid pickguard as well. Just because I'm crazy and this is my signature guitar, I want the bridge to have a tremolo. That's right: a traditional-style Telecaster body with a tremolo bridge. How else am I going to get that cool Jeff Beck mojo or Gilmouresque vibrato?

There should be three pickups and push-pull pots to activate seven different pickup combinations, just like on my G&L ASAT. We need true single-coils here. It would take me days to figure out just the right combination of pickups, but I'd like the neck pickup to be routed for available humbucker, should you want to swap things out and get a 'bucker in there without doing the chiseling yourself.

That's all I've got so far for the Keith Messier signature model.
          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlTheBird View Post
            If someone does find the Eddie Van Collins tone, would it be considered "Brown Picker?"

More sleep needed.
            Bi Gal, you know what I love about you?

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
              One more for luck! When are you most content?
              I think I'm most content when I'm with family around the holidays, people are in good spirits, and I've got plenty of time off from work, so there's nothing in the back of my mind stressing me out.

Being alone with my music, whether listening to or playing it, often fosters a deep sense of tranquility, but having family around ultimately brings me the most happiness. That's probably why I still live in New England, and probably always will.
              I am just jug the merlot

Comment

No what's that? My...

Comment

^ I think something horrid just fell down the well.
                  I am just jug the merlot

Comment

No what's that? My...

Yeah... probably... that and your delicate sense of humor. Not a lot of people understand it. I mean, a sense of humor that works only on such a small amount of people... priceless.

Comment

Don't ever discount the amount of stupid people in the world Johnny!

Comment

Don't ever discount the amount of stupid people in the world Johnny!

I'd call them special if I were you.

Never insult your audience...

Comment

Who cares!? They're too stupid to realize it.

Comment

• Momentarily Off-Topic (sort of)

On Nominating the Next Host…

I realize that my tenure as host of The Well ends after today. Tomorrow morning, I have to PM Jeremy with my nomination for next week's host. I've been thinking about how to do this, since there are about thirty different guys I'd like to nominate. It's tough to choose just one, so I came up with a solution:

Since I think interviewers make good interviewees, I figure I'll nominate the person who asks the question I most enjoyed responding to. It could be because the question was challenging, fun, clever, insightful or whatever. Even at that, it'll probably be hard to choose.

In any case, this idea is great fun, and I feel like I'm getting as much out of reading everyone's questions as you all may be getting out of reading my responses. I hope you're having as much fun as I am.

- Keith
                            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

And feel free to keep asking questions, because it's a slow day at the office today! (We didn't get the holiday off. )
                              I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Besides the music - what makes you a rocker?

Comment

Working...
                                X