Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constructive Criticism Request

Hey Guys,

Here's a tune I'm working on. It's a Megadeth tune I'm stealing (since I have no original thoughts in my head ) whilst learning my recording software.

Anyway, it still needs some real drums, bass and a few more solo sections. I'm new to this home recording, but I'd like some comments on guitar tone. What you like, don't like, and some tips on mixing if you have any (it hasn't been mixed down).

Also, I'm deciding whether I need to get a soundcard update, so let me know how it sounds on YOUR system.

It's called "The Longest Day." I'm fascinated with the subject, and this MegaD tune screams battle music, so I used it as such. It's about a month too late, I know.

Thanks - Matt

Last edited by JammerMatt; 07-06-2004, 09:36 PM. Reason: Better title
    Originally posted by Scott_F
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Re: Constructive Criticism Request

JammerMatt: As far as I can tell that is one kickass recording! The guitars are really clear and defined! Whenever I record stuff with my band it sounds like crap... How did you record that? I need to know the secret to good recording at home. Anyway, GREAT recording, keep up the good work!
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Metalman,

Thanks for the kind words. I am using Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro Version 3, which lives on my computer. It might be the best 150 bucks I ever spent. It's fairly simple to set up and use. I am using a Line6 Flextone II XL, which has XLR direct outs, which I plug directly into my soundcard. No microphones, so I can record at midnight without waking up the house. My situation would rarely allow me to crank an amp in the open and record it with a mic, but someday I hope to have a real Marshall, stick it bedroom and crank it in front of some mics.
      On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Sounded really good, only thing I had was a bit of digital distortion here and there. Kind of an odd break up just over the range of the music. Might not be the recording though it could be when you converted to mp3
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

sounded pretty cool to me.... can see what you mean about needing more lead sections.. just getting repetitive (lead wise) just over the 2 minute mark and seemed to need something to jump out at that point. But that may be just associating to close to megadeth where the 2nd lead tone would jump in....

rhythm tone is very cool... nice lead tone too...

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage
            Sounded really good, only thing I had was a bit of digital distortion here and there. Kind of an odd break up just over the range of the music. Might not be the recording though it could be when you converted to mp3
            I heard that, too. I think it might have been the George C. Scott/Gen Patton MP3 clip that I lifted from somewhere. The waveform looked like it was pushed through one of those Play-Do squeeze thingies, the ones where you make spaghetti (okay I have a 2-year old son, so I'm an expert at this). I think it got "clipped" somehow. I was also having a devil of a time getting the volume for that part up without it clipping/distorting. Any tips on boosting that would be a huge help.

Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by diggamark
            sounded pretty cool to me.... can see what you mean about needing more lead sections.. just getting repetitive (lead wise) just over the 2 minute mark .....rhythm tone is very cool... nice lead tone too...
            The rhythm is 2 guitars tracked. My MIJ Jackson w/JB, and USA Jackson w/DD. MIJ on the left. Lead is the USA through the Soldano X88R model. I wish I could get a real one, but I'd be living alone then 'cause my wife would kick me out.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

knew you had a JB in there... you can't do megadeth sounding tunes without it...

Comment

Hey Matt; sound-quality-wise, it was pretty good. The only thing I would add is, I would pan the two guitars a bit farther left and right. To be honest, it sounded mono on my system.

As for the vocal background, thats the kind of thing where you want to use super compression, then "ride" the level control as its mixing. Let a little more of the "talk" in during breaks in the guitar, then push it back more during the guitar parts that you want up front, (or in your face.)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                  Hey Matt; sound-quality-wise, it was pretty good. The only thing I would add is, I would pan the two guitars a bit farther left and right. To be honest, it sounded mono on my system.

As for the vocal background, thats the kind of thing where you want to use super compression, then "ride" the level control as its mixing. Let a little more of the "talk" in during breaks in the guitar, then push it back more during the guitar parts that you want up front, (or in your face.)
                  Artie, Great comments. My program has compression so I'll give that a crank, and try the panning bit. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by diggamark
                    knew you had a JB in there... you can't do megadeth sounding tunes without it...
                    You got it, baby. Honestly, I can't decide which I like better, it depends on the day. I can't tell a super tremendous diff between the two, but my ear's not that sensitive. I think the JB is more open, colorful, and waaahhh... while the DD is a bit compressed, chunkier, and heavier.

Comment

Pretty killer! You can hear the digital influence but it totally works. Fast right hand Matt. Nice job
                      https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                        Fast right hand Matt.
                        I'm married with children, Stevo.

Comment

Working...
                        X