banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do to make your leads BIGGER?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do to make your leads BIGGER?

Just curious. I'm experimenting with getting fuller solo tracks on recordings. The tone is there when I dial it in on Tone Port, it's just making the leads stand out and have BODY at the same time (in the context of the song) that I'm after.

I want to capture that rawness on "Voodoo Child", where you can feel every note (whether it's trebly or bassy) and it's so defined, you can almost picture Jimi's hand movements.

So what do you guys do to get testicle-shaking solo thunder?
    Watch My Videos
    Photography
    www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
    "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Re: What do you do to make your leads BIGGER?

Well i use the toneport too ,and my "weapon" is the Rotary Speaker Simulator.
    With the right blend ,i never use reverb or any other effect.Sometimes Delay is needed ,but just sometimes!
    www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

double track baby!

Comment

Layer the same track twice but with different guitars and different sounds to fill her up. For example, last time I was in the studio for solos I first laid the track down with my ESP, playing a JB on the bridge thru my Line6 stack. Then I got a les paul studio, played on the neck pickup through a peavey tube amp. The ESP gave me the treble and the attack while the les paul gave warmth and fullness. They combined to sound pretty good. The song on my myspace has it if you wanna check out the result.

-Rowan

Comment

A teeny weeny bit of extremely short dealy, makes the guitar sound bigger.
          "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

8th note delay in proper tempo, mixed low. Some verb thrown on, as well. Compress similarly to vocals.
            www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Use less distortion, a touch of reverb, and double track your leads.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

lotsa good studio technique ideas here ...

plus, pick good notes and leave space so the melodic concept breathes a bit ... really LISTEN to voodoo chile some time .. hear how it portrays a rhythmic concept not too unlike human speech
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

picking harder will help, as well. technique with guitar is just as important as with recording.
                  Jeremy Ledford
                  Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                  Tone Shop

Comment

You want the rawness of Voodoo Child? You have to learn how to vent prue attitude and emotion though your guitar. The wall of amps and distortion Jimi used was very enabling. But I imagine he could have sounded that good playing into a gorilla amp.
                    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I'm all about delay.

Comment

Working...
                      X