banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else have troubles with their pinky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else have troubles with their pinky?

Grr! Everytime I try to do these exercises that use my pinky, after I play the note that I've fretted with my pinky, it raises itself too high! I try to keep it as low as possible so I can get to the next bit quicker but I just can't control it.

Anyone have the same problem?
    Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Re: Does anyone else have troubles with their pinky?

I've never had a problem with it, but lots of other people i know do. They say it "pops" back up. It's hard to train from what I hear, but it's possible.

Comment

I have exactly that problem, my pinky is up in the air like I'm drinking tea or something and it takes a real mental effort to keep it low - but I'm spending so much time trying to keep it down that I forget what I'm supposed to be playing. I also have trouble sequencing my fingers when my 2nd finger is involved - I think it's because you don't often play a note with your first finger, then second - it's normally first then third or first then fourth (too much minor pentatonic practice)

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
        Still, players like SRV, Henrdix and Clapton may just as well not have one as I've never seen them use it.
        Lee
        Hmm - I wonder if all these guys were self-taught? I only started using my pinky when I started taking lessons - it didn't feel natural to do it at first so I didn't.

Comment

i think i used to

practise some chromatic runs slowly and that might help out
          My clips

Originally posted by Rid
          How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I personally had brief guitar lessons (a year or so) and I almost never use my pinky. I use it lower on the neck too reach some larger frets, only because I don't have very long hands and I'm forced to do so.

I'm doing scales regularily though, in which I use it all the time of course, but never outside execises. I would have to change my style completely to introduce the pinky into my playing. I don't think it would worth the effort honnestly. But I'm lousy

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
            Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Comment

I saw Larry Carlton playing last night and had a very good view of his playing style. He comes frrom the old blues style of playing - that is thumb over the neck and using the first, second and third fingers of his left hand. Very occassionally he would use his pinky but that was more when he had to do some fairly tricky fingerings or going up high on the fretboard.

You should try and use you pinky because it does help you to get to certain places that much quicker, however if you're technique is already well established and you can do what you want to do, then if it ain't broke don't fix it!
              Normans Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Jaganath
                Hmm - I wonder if all these guys were self-taught? I only started using my pinky when I started taking lessons - it didn't feel natural to do it at first so I didn't.
                I have been using my pinky in one way or another since day one. Im still having problems keeping it down though, I think its just because the tendon naturally doesnt want to move that way, just takes time to stretch it.
                Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

I use mine in legato stuff, long weird chords, for rhythm stops, even bends with the sucker from time to time, and I also keep my thumb around the neck, sometimes behind, what ever is needed to get what I want!
                  Some does not use it and still plays wonderful things...figure out what you can train it to do and don't worry much over it.

Comment

Ahh ok, thanks for your advice guys!

my pinky is up in the air like I'm drinking tea or something
                    Lol!

Bee
                    Originally posted by Kanye West
                    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

yeah my pinky is usually out there because i mostly use my first 3 fingers but when i play something where i use my pinky its usually closer and i have no problem with it.
                      The early bird catches the worm and the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the ambassador.

Comment

I've always been taught to use and practice with my pinky, so it's pretty natural to me.
                        Watch My Videos
                        Photography
                        www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
                        "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

i dont have that problem

i practice everything i do with alternate fingerings to have my fingers know it all. so i'll do a simple run like this

E---------------------------------
                          B---------------------------------
                          G-------7-9-10-12-10-9-----------
                          D7-9-10----------------12-10-9---
                          A---------------------------------
                          E---------------------------------

Then do it in an alternate fingering like:

E-------------------------------------
                          B-------------------------------------
                          G-----------9-10-12-10-9-------------
                          D7-9-10-12---------------12-10-9----
                          A-------------------------------------