Frustrated beyond belief!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated beyond belief!

Ok, I got this little Behringer UB502 mixer up and running. I'm running two mics, an sm57 centerish and a Samson S12 on the outer edge. Those are run flat EQ into the mic in of my motherboard's soundcard and into nuendo. This is what it sounds like....

Am I the only one that thinks that sounds stuffy or something?? Wth am I doing wrong here?? Could it be my marshall cab not agreeing with the head? The head being solid state? Really....I'm very frustrated.
    Splawn Quickrod
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
    Marshall 1960A with Splawn SB speakers
    Mesa Boogie Standard cab with V30's

PRS CE24
    PRS Baritone
    Schecter custom fuzz

Re: Frustrated beyond belief!

Originally posted by SpaceShipOne View Post
    Ok, I got this little Behringer UB502 mixer up and running. I'm running two mics, an sm57 centerish and a Samson S12 on the outer edge. Those are run flat EQ into the mic in of my motherboard's soundcard and into nuendo. This is what it sounds like....

Am I the only one that thinks that sounds stuffy or something?? Wth am I doing wrong here?? Could it be my marshall cab not agreeing with the head? The head being solid state? Really....I'm very frustrated.
    What volume are you recording at?
    Originally posted by tone4days
    we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

High and low, both give me the same sound
      Splawn Quickrod

PRS CE24
      PRS Baritone
      Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

I don't know what kind of sound you're expecting out of a Behringer mixer. They're adequate for messing around at home but if you're looking for a pro sound or just getting true tone to tape, you won't find it.

Just being honest.
        Last edited by vinterland; 06-01-2007, 05:48 PM.
        Speak through your fingers

Comment

You`ll need to calibrate the mix/input. You should place the 57 either on the outer edge of the speaker or dead center with a 30 d angle(move it a bit to find the sweet spot. You should turn up the volume until the cab starts to cooperate with the speaker.Find the best sounding speaker in the cab,every speaker have it`s sweet spot (volume).Try to phase on of the mics,there is a 3:1 rule when using two mices on one sound source
          You should try a sennheiser 604 or 609 to get some more beef,i don`t know about the samson.
          sigpic

Comment

SM57 center 30 degreesish

SM57 edge

SM57 and Samson

Just the head?
            Splawn Quickrod

PRS CE24
            PRS Baritone
            Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

The center 30 d 57 clip sounds quite good IMO,see what happens if u place the samson mic on a stand a fot above the cab pointing at the speakers (angle).
              This should capture some of the cab sound. Blend the two mics in the mix,if the samson gets too muddy you shoud remove some 125k Play around with the blending until it starts to sound familiar !!!
              sigpic

Comment

Here's with my Hughes and Kettner cab. Sounds better but still the same stuffyness.

Splawn Quickrod

PRS CE24
                PRS Baritone
                Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

I tried some mic positions the other day again and I use the spot between edge and center and put the mic 1 or 2 cm away off the speaker.
                  Originally posted by Guitarist
                  Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
                  http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Comment

Working...
                  X