More for the KRANK addicts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More for the KRANK addicts...

I've given up on micing dirty tones for the time being. My room's too small, my amps are too loud, I can never get it to sound right, and my parents don't wanna deal with the noise either .

So, with that in mind, I ordered myself a new little toy that would allow me to record my KRANK without micing it up...the Palmer PDI-09.

It's basically a DI box that doubles as a speaker simulator. Still have to have a load attached to the amp with this one, but I got a weber MASS 150 on the way for that purpose.

As for right now, I've re-recorded the beginning of one of my tunes using the Palmer. This was a quick plug-in-and go take that I recorded while my parents were out of the house.

Its not perfect...I've been experimenting a bit more with the drums recently, trying to get them to sound a bit more realistic. I've met with some success, some failures, and many headaches. But...its a learning process.

Like I said, the gats were pretty much plug-in-and play. I used my headphones to dial in the tone, and in about 15 minutes I had made this clip. It aint quite punchy enough as is, and is a little trebly, but it shows some potential methinks .
    Last edited by krankguitarist; 06-16-2007, 02:58 AM.

Re: More for the KRANK addicts...

That's incredible! How much did you pay for one of those? I have a 5150 with a preamp out and would kill to not have to mic the thing. Would that work for me?

Originally posted by krankguitarist View Post
    I've given up on micing dirty tones for the time being. My room's too small, my amps are too loud, I can never get it to sound right, and my parents don't wanna deal with the noise either .

So, with that in mind, I ordered myself a new little toy that would allow me to record my KRANK without micing it up...the Palmer PDI-09.

It's basically a DI box that doubles as a speaker simulator. Still have to have a load attached to the amp with this one, but I got a weber MASS 150 on the way for that purpose.

As for right now, I've re-recorded the beginning of one of my tunes using the Palmer. This was a quick plug-in-and go take that I recorded while my parents were out of the house.

Its not perfect...I've been experimenting a bit more with the drums recently, trying to get them to sound a bit more realistic. I've met with some success, some failures, and many headaches. But...its a learning process.

Like I said, the gats were pretty much plug-in-and play. I used my headphones to dial in the tone, and in about 15 minutes I had made this clip. It aint quite punchy enough as is, and is a little trebly, but it shows some potential methinks .
    Splawn Quickrod
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
    Marshall 1960A with Splawn SB speakers
    Mesa Boogie Standard cab with V30's

PRS CE24
    PRS Baritone
    Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

sounds pretty cool. maybe toy with some impulses to see if you can get a lil' more mic-ish. by then tough, you're pretty far from the amp tone you start from.

Comment

Nah, using a Palmer or Impulses is going to keep the amps character better than anything but actually micing it.

Can't wait to get mine in, aye bro? These thing should be a godsend!

I'll have to give you the run down on impulses, as well... if they turn out to be better than the Palmer... Well...

Me needs ta get an Attenuator for my ish, as well. What made you go w/Weber over like THD?

Seraphim - you use the amps output with the plamer, not the preamp out.
        Last edited by Virtual Kevorkian; 06-16-2007, 01:38 PM.
        www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Palmer is still the best thing!!

Comment

That sounds so ridiculously HUGE!!! No wonder it's too much for your parents, a single note would melt faces :O
            Watch My Videos
            Photography
            www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
            "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

This one set me back about 155 from jams audio. Heres the link:

You actually could use the PDI-09 with a preamp out, but you wouldn't really be capturing the whole amp...just the preamp section. Dunno how much it'll matter, but its something to think about.

Couple of reasons why I went with the weber...lots of guys on the forum have been giving em glowing reviews, and the ignorant consumer in me said "speaker motor...that makes sense". The THD was a bit more too. Now I just gotta wait until the thing gets in. Even as is, it sounds a whole lot better than the POD.

Comment

I've always wanted one of those. Direct out always sounds like a rat's nest into the board. Ideally, it'd be cool to mic the amp and also use the Palmer, just to give the mic'd tone a bit more edge.

One thing I wish all amps would do is retain the DI signal while on standby. I noticed the new Marshall JVM does that.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

hmm
                  that sounds **** awesome

ive heard loads of good things about the Palmer, and this is just one to add to the list
                  Originally posted by drew_half_empty
                  what the hell ever happened to rock & roll being loud & brash & pinning you to the wall behind you?

Comment

I still laugh at how I suggested this to you after deciding to purchase it myself this summer... and before I've even started saving for it, you've posted clips.
                    www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

And how skeptical I was at first, before you showed me that bomb-ass clip of the dude with a PDI-03 and a Mark IV. That was double GAS right there .

Comment

Record more for us!
                        Splawn Quickrod
                        Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
                        Marshall 1960A with Splawn SB speakers
                        Mesa Boogie Standard cab with V30's

PRS CE24
                        PRS Baritone
                        Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

Gonna take a while for that to happen really...I gotta get my weber in before I can start doin more clips. Either that or mi madre needs to leave the house for a bit. I'm still using my ear candy cab as a load at this point, even after putting a few blankets on the cab its still louder than hell.

It'll probably be about a week or two till the weber comes in. Beyond that...well...I'll see if I can't sneak in a few clips here and there.

Comment

Working...
                          X