banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're using a Palmer or similar or know lots about recording...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're using a Palmer or similar or know lots about recording...

A question I and probably many others who use direct box speaker simulators is this....When recording guitar, what should you do to the audio to make it more lively and less DI'ish? Such as frequencies, compression, reverb, all that jazz. What's your take on what to do? Or any ideas! Come one come all.
    Splawn Quickrod
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
    Marshall 1960A with Splawn SB speakers
    Mesa Boogie Standard cab with V30's

PRS CE24
    PRS Baritone
    Schecter custom fuzz

Re: If you're using a Palmer or similar or know lots about recording...

Treat it like a normal guitar track... AKA - tweak the amp and attenuator or whatever until you're getting a great tone right there in the room, then deal with getting that sound to tape. Once you've got a solid sound to tape, tweak with eq to fit the mix.

I don't like compression on dirty rhythm guitars - they're compressed enough as is (the waveform is almost square).

I bus my guitars to a tiny, tiny bit of reverb, just to gel things together.
    www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

The best thing I know of is to blend some mic'd signal in with the DI. Even if you have to play back your DI tracks through some speakers, amp etc. and mic them it "can" help take the sterile sound to a higher level.
      Pulse 2AM - YouTube
      Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Read that.. but if you dont then go to the third post
        Compression works great on just about everything, especially drums and boomy guitar/bass tracks.
        Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
        Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
        Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
        Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
        Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

Working...
        X