Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recording mixer suggestions!

hey guys,

im looking to properly start the recording thing - i've got my eye on an M-Audio Delta 1010, and i'm gonna need a mixer with preamps and direct-out's to feed it with line-level signals..

the delta 1010 is 8 in, 8 out - but i cant find anything with fewer than 16 channels that offers direct out..

anyone gotten something that meets these needs? i'm getting itchy fingers here

tom

Re: recording mixer suggestions!

why not just buy an 8 channel microphone preamp? i think presonus makes one, but if you do a quick search on google or musicians friend you can find multi-channel mic pres in all price ranges.

what's your budget BTW?
    gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
    '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
    mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
    marshall 1960A 4x12
    and a few pedals

Comment

up to about $500-$600 i guess? im looking used..

just checked out the presonus digimax - it's a perfect match, but it's a bit out of my reach price wise!

i can only really see myself using 4 XLR in's at once (anything else, i'll be with a group of guys who use their own stuff)..

i was originally looking at studio mixers like the mackie onyx and VLZ stuff - but they're quite expensive out here!

Comment

I have a Yamaha MG 12/4 that has inserts (can be used as direct outs) on channels 1 - 4 and xlr ins with nice mic pres on 1 - 6. It also has one stereo and two mono busses that can be assigned to any channel, so effectively you have 8 direct outs if you want them. Hook-up to the 1010 would be like this:

Chan. 1 insert -> 1010 input 1
        Chan. 2 insert -> 1010 input 2
        Chan. 3 insert -> 1010 input 3
        Chan. 4 insert -> 1010 input 4
        Group out left -> 1010 input 5
        Group out right -> 1010 input 6
        Aux 1 send -> 1010 input 7
        Aux 2 send -> 1010 input 8

It also has main outs and control room outs for monitoring.

So basically you'd have the first four channels hard wired to the 1010, and the rest of the channels could be assigned to a bus as needed. That would be a very versatile setup.

It's a great mixer quality-wise; definitely in the same league as Mackie's small mixers. I bought it used on eBay for $140 US shipped.
        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

yes!! this is exactly what i want to hear

i always dismissed the small yamaha mixers because i didnt know what the channel inserts could be used for! you've saved me $200 dude, i'd mail you a beer or something lol

Comment

Working...
          X