My Dm blues(rock)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dm blues(rock)

Well after listening to Sly's great version over Rid's backing and reading Lee's comments I realize how much we are all influenced by the popular stlyes of our day. I, like Lee, can't tap. Never could, never tried, never wanted to. Thing is tapping became popular while I was in college and I had no time to play guitar for about a 7-8 year period (I played but just to relax, didn't listen to what was out there). So I really missed the tapping period. Although I play more now I really stick to general stylings I listened to as a kid. Now Lee's fondness for melody I really like but it was in it's heyday a few years before my time (sorry Lee). So I thought I would just take a stab at the backing track and just take a go at it. One take, just play and see what came out. Very different than the others but it kind of reflects what I listened to and how I play. I would love to play like Rid but it will never happen.

The guitar is my Brazilian Santana and the amp is my custom AC-30 running on 6V6's with the front end pushed wide open. Ignore the few clams and loose timing (I prefer to call it feel ). I have always been an advocate of Lee's philosophy of just play it (it never gets much better no matter how many takes I take anyway )
    Last edited by Al.C; 07-23-2004, 10:49 PM.

Re: My Dm blues(rock)

Very cool vibe Al.C. I like the way you played along the chord progression... well done!

You know, tapping was an experimentation, I never did and will not likely do anymore tapping. I don't want to be identified as a tapping player.

It was just a "let's see if I can pull it off" type of challenge. I'm not a fan of tapping anyway. I did not follow the tapping trend either. My guitar heroes were all pre-Van Halen or from other schools, namely Jimmy Page, Ace Frehley, Angus Young and Rik Emmet (Triumph, a canadian band).

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
    Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Comment

Rik Emmet, now there is a name you don't see referenced very often on here. Growing up in Canada I listened to him alot as a kid. A very diverse player. Loved his jazzy 'Suitcase Blues'. Seemed like he has fallen off the radar for some reason. Lots of talent, used to write the column in Guitar Player, now you never hear from him?

Comment

Look at his web site... I think he started to play again lately :

A shame he stopped for so long. This guy is a heck of a guitar player, with a classical background. He can play anything from hard rock to Bach.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
        Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Comment

i agree with lee the tone was a bit too agressive for this

other than that it was pretty good
          My clips

Originally posted by Rid
          How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Tone is a bit too raunchy for this song I do agree.

But the music itself, lovely. I reckon if you re-did it with a cleaner tone it would be slammin.. in a soft and gentle manner
            Originally posted by Kanye West
            Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

I don't have any issues with that tone! I thought it was a good, thick, tone that fit fine. PLaying was nice and mellow. I thought it was well done.
              MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                What are you talking about not liking melody? It's about as melodic as mine.

I'd have liked a softer guitar tone though, I found it way too harsh for my ears.

I think it's pretty commendable to click record and just play. It's a bit like driving by the seat of your pants. If you stop to think about it you'll lose it. It's that ethereal quality I like.

Good stuff.

Lee

Lee I love melody. What I was referring to was simply that the style of playing you have MAY have been influenced by the instrumental music of the 60's. You know where the guitar actually played the entire melody. I love melody heck if it weren't for melody I would have nothing. My biggest influences were Santana, Clapton, Benson, but I listened to a lot of early 70's pop (I hate to admit it) as well so melody has always been important to me.

I must say I am having a good chuckle about the comments regarding the raunch level. The first clip I posted with the new amp was 'People Get Ready' and the major comment I got was it was not raunchy enough - I had the gain up to about 7/10. So this time I opened it up all the way - hearing a 80's power ballad sort of song in my head- and people want it soft and sweet. Just goes to show you how totally subjective a thing this tone thing is.

Thanks for the feedback fellows.
                Last edited by Al.C; 07-21-2004, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I LOVE THAT TONE! and the playing. Thats some amazing stuff man. Keep the clips coming!
                  Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer
                    I LOVE THAT TONE! and the playing. Thats some amazing stuff man. Keep the clips coming!
                    You gotta love the home town fans . (born and raised in KW)

Comment

Okay I listened to it a few times and it may be a bit harsh. My brother who designed the amp told me that when I turn the gain all the way up I really should turn the the presence down as he felt it was a bit too brittle. However who listens to their younger brother? Well I changed the eq a bit to try and take a little of the edge away. I would redo it but the problem with one take records is it would be completely different next time.

Comment

sweet clip as always, Al ... the tone wasnt too harsh for me at all (just a little low in the mix and a touch too much reverb to my ears) ... i dug your melodic vibe alot and like the way it got a little gritty when you dug in with the double stops ...

in spots, i thought the playing had a touch of mid 70's lyndsey buckinham's tone and phrasing (meant entirely as a favourable / complimentary comparison)

rock on
                        cheers
                        t4d
                        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
                          sweet clip as always, Al ... the tone wasnt too harsh for me at all (just a little low in the mix and a touch too much reverb to my ears) ... i dug your melodic vibe alot and like the way it got a little gritty when you dug in with the double stops ...

in spots, i thought the playing had a touch of mid 70's lyndsey buckinham's tone and phrasing (meant entirely as a favourable / complimentary comparison)

rock on
                          cheers
                          t4d
                          Thanks T4D, Buchingham is a great player. Funny when I listened to it parts kind of reminded me of early Alice Cooper. I don't even know the name of the guy I'm thinking about but the one who did all the memorable stuff.

Comment

Sweet. It reminds me of Santana's tone in the older days. Nice riffage and very melodic
                            https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

Yep my thoughts too Stevo
                              And I really liked that sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X