Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take at Rid's backing

hello again.

i just downloaded some of the backings posted by Rid a while ago (Thanks bro excellent stuff!). i widdled around and got inspired enough to record an improvisation on that electronic sounding fusion thing.
    this is what came out, and i call it "Ultra Violet"

recorded with my Ibanez on the bridge position (steve's special) thru my POD 2.3 direct to the computer.

im realy satisfied with the how it turned out, and i'll be glad if you guys check it out and tell me what you think of it, and what should i do better next time.

you can download it from this website, using the speaker icon:

hope you like it.
    Guitars:
    -Ibanez RG2820CTTW Limited Edition (with Dimarzio Steve's Special bridge and Air Norton neck)
    -Peavey Harley Peavey Signature Guitar
    -Admira spanish classical guitar

Amps:
    - Line6 POD 2.3 Rack with poweramp and cab
    - Marshall 1st Generation Valvestate combo
    SHREDDING IN THE HOLY LAND

Re: My take at Rid's backing

its great, only comment i'd make is lay off the speed in some sections.

the tone is nice

i'd be greatfull if you checked out my attempt at this track and tell me what you think to my take. im not the same style as you though, im more gutsy with a bit of technique - your way more technical than me - i couldnt play half of this!!
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

hahah yeah i tend to get over the top sometimes.

i'll go check out your take of it right now, and tell you what i think.

thanks
      Guitars:
      -Ibanez RG2820CTTW Limited Edition (with Dimarzio Steve's Special bridge and Air Norton neck)

Amps:

Comment

ok here's a more constructive critiscism since i've been listening solidly since i got it.

- you have the potential to be one of the best fusion/shredder guitarists around, no doubt. but it seems in places you are kinda fishing for notes and relying on speed..

all i could advise you to do is keep the same feel, but build up to a fast part - it would have more effect than playing a few nice licks then flying up and down the board.

i'm being critical here, from what i've heard of you you can do better than this.. dont expect me to go easy on you when you can play the way you can! lol

its just my opinion though.
        My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

tone nice
          technique nice
          but you (like nuntius alerady said) overdo with the speed at times. but overall nice feel of it

Comment

i hate you!

Comment

Meh.

The playing is nice, but I was thoroughly bored 2 minutes into it. You have the chops, but you need to develop more melody. It sounds like you're just winging whatever jazzy sounding thing will work over each chord.

A lot can be learned listening to Vai and Satch. There's always a melody to be had first, and then you build to a solo, just like in a song w/vocals. You don't need to be repetetive, but being able to vocalize guitar parts is very important.

Nice tone, nice playing, but the song left me cold ...

You asked for opinions, and that's mine. Take it for what it's worth.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

sure, i can respect and understand all that was said. i'll take it to my attention.
                i think comments like some tonebro's here said are better for me to learn something than "ohh it sounds nice". if you know what i mean.

like i said in another thread, im focusing on musicality right now, because i always get carried away with technique, without noticing. and this could be blocking me abit.

bare in mind, however, this thing is merely an improvisation, not a written song. so it has more of that "mix of ideas" feel then an actuall song with a beginning a middle and an end.
                Guitars:

Amps:

Comment

well thats what you need to learn then, to be able to know exactly where your going with improvisation
                  My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

ok man, heres brutal honesty on you making it on guitar :

your 15 now, and your technique has a lot of people going "wow hes 15!" which is true, you are amazing for a 15 year old.

but - in a few years time the shock and awe with your age as regards to your playing will have gone, and you'll be up against everyone else in the world.

its pretty much make or break so dont get lazy! lol
                    My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

i was thnking to myself "im 15 too, how good could he be?"

and now i think "WE'RE NOT WORTHY!! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!!! WE SUCK!!!"

Comment

i dont mean to be really nagging at you but i do believe you can play the kinda music that will make people want to be able to play like you.

just try this for me - re do your solo - with no tapping, sweep picking, or whatever other shred techniques you were using.

your not allowed to shred untill the final 8/16 bars!

i just wanna see what you can do melody wise
                        My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

lol i hope that will be so nuntinus.

\m/(00)\m/, dont sweat it, im just a little kid who can play fast
                          Guitars:

Amps:

Comment

fair enough, just its something i want to see if he can do - he's got the chops to so why not?

i just wanted to try and give some guidance to him, he's way above me playing wise but that doesnt mean i cant critiscise...

the idea is something my guitar teacher did to me, when i used to slide a ton of notes an over vib anything.. its challenging to change the way you play but when you get to control it you become a better player.

this is along the lines of the style i wish i could play, so naturally im very intrested in the guy
                            My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

by the way

nice clip

Comment

Working...
                              X