banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scale question: Phrygian and Mixolydian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale question: Phrygian and Mixolydian?

I was searching for a way to lead on a Rid backtrack and I end up discovering that a particular pattern was working well, so I got to my favorite scale site to see if this was an existing scale, and it actually was.

Officially, this was the Phrygian A scale, but... the Mixolydian C seems to be the exact same thing. The Mixolydian scale seems to be a Prygian scale that would have slide three fret up the neck.

There seems to be many patterns that repeats themselves in several scales. When you're faced with a repeating pattern, I suppose the right name of the scale is related to the key of the song, right? So in the above example, if I'm in A, the scale I use would actually be the Prygian, whereas if I'm in C, it would be the Mixolydian?

Do I get this right?

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
    Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Re: Scale question: Phrygian and Mixolydian?

A phrygian and C mixolydian are just 2 modes out of 1 key. this particular key is F major or also known as D minor.
    the pattern in those notes are the same because they both are related to D minor. the notes in D minor are:

D-E-F-G-A-Bb-C-D

A phrygian in order goes:

A-Bb-C-D-E-F-G-A

and C mixolydian are in order:

C-D-E-F-G-A-Bb-C

they're both different degrees in thekey of D minor

the modes are:

aeolian(other wise known as the minor scale)
    locrian
    ionian(other wise known as the major scale)
    dorian
    phyrgian
    lydian
    mixolydian

aeolian is the first degree of D minor
    locrian is the 2nd degree
    ionian is the third degree
    dorian is the 4th degree
    phrygian is the 5th degree
    lydian is the 6th degree
    mixolydian is the 7th degree
    and then it comes to the octave

Comment

i think he pretty much summed it up there
      Marshall JVM 410C
      Mesa Boogie DC-3
      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

What \m/(00)\m/ said.

Age 15 even... impressive
        Originally posted by Scott_F
        On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Comment

moom, my friend you blow me away. I never came across this explaination, go figure....

So, just to make sure...

All the modes are various degrees of a given key... in your example, it's Dm but if I took Am (or C) for instance, I would have:

A-B-C-D-E-F-G

and then this:

aeolian is the first degree of A minor (A-B-C-D-E-F-G)
            locrian is the 2nd degree (B-C-D-E-F-G-A)
            ionian is the third degree (C-D-E-F-G-A-B)
            dorian is the 4th degree (D-E-F-G-A-B-C)
            phrygian is the 5th degree (E-F-G-A-B-C-D)
            lydian is the 6th degree (F-G-A-B-C-D-E)
            mixolydian is the 7th degree (G-A-B-C-D-E-F)

Correct?

Comment

great explantion moom!
              pretty much covered it.

i only have one thing to add, usually Ionian is reffered to as the 1st degree, and Aeolian(=natural minor) to its 6th. this is done when adressing the modes of the major(=ionian) scale.
              Guitars:
              -Ibanez RG2820CTTW Limited Edition (with Dimarzio Steve's Special bridge and Air Norton neck)
              -Peavey Harley Peavey Signature Guitar
              -Admira spanish classical guitar

Amps:
              - Line6 POD 2.3 Rack with poweramp and cab
              - Marshall 1st Generation Valvestate combo
              SHREDDING IN THE HOLY LAND

Comment

about exploring modes:
                you can see the difference between the various modes, by comparing them to the Major scale.
                the major/ionian scale consists of the degrees: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
                lets try to see how Dorian is in comparison to the Ionian: 1 - 2 - b3 - 4 - 5 - 6 -b7
                (b3 = minor/flat third)
                you can do this with all modes, and it would give you a better idea of their "feel" if you understand the sound of each degree in the scale.

another way to approach it is to take triads and arpeggios from the scale to see what chords the scale would fit into, and find what i like to call the "signature chord" of the mode. in dorian it would be a min6 or min7 chord, like Cm6, Am7.

a second example of what i said above:
                Lydian would be 1 - 2 - 3 - #4 - 5 - 6 - 7
                that sharp 4th is the only difference between Lydian and Ionian, and its what gives Lydian that "dreamy" "cheerful" (it may sound different to anyone) feel.
                if we mess around with the triads and try playing Lydian over the different chords you can see Maj and Maj'7 are the chords he's best to played on.
                Lydians "signature chord" is Maj'7#11 (the #11 comes from the #4 the intervals in a Maj7#11 chord would be 1 - 3 - (5) - 7 - (9) - #11. the degrees in ()'s are ones that are not essential to the chord)
                Guitars:
                -Ibanez RG2820CTTW Limited Edition (with Dimarzio Steve's Special bridge and Air Norton neck)

Amps:

Comment

...over my head.

Looks like Bee has to go back to basics... !

Don't take your knowledge for granted... right now I'm thinking about how frustrating it is!
                  Originally posted by Kanye West
                  Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Thanks DiminisheD-7th, you just showed me what I had a problem understanding from the start. Since the interval change from one mode to another, I thaught that the pattern on the guitar changed also. I just realized that the pattern on the guitar is the same for all 7 modes, you just have to slide the pattern up and down the neck. You then get all the interval variations... this is what confiused me in the first place.

You 15 year-olds are beating the crap out of me

You've learned the right way, good for you. Thanks to you both of you pals, you just open a window to a whole new world in my head!

Comment

i was like that too, Sly , only a few monthes ago i think. you dont see it that way atfirst but when you do its like "D'OH! OFCOURSE!"
                      glad i could help out bro
                      Guitars:

Amps:

Comment

Jesus, I never even heard of a major scale at 15 never mind understanding modes, i still dont even understand em fully, that is the part that where you can understnd how you can play say an A-Locrian over a B flat diminished 7th augmented majinor (*&*^%( chord..??
                        Marshall JVM 410C
                        Mesa Boogie DC-3
                        ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                        1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                        2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                        2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                        1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                        2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                        1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

This is were we have to have the humility to leave alone the part we don't get for now Otherwise, we'll stare at our guitar like a cow at a passing train and do nothing

I don't necessarily get which mode goes best with which chord pattern. One thing at a time, I JUST undestood modes correctly... at 37, your brain works perfectly well but it starts to get lousy and you're satisfied of learning one thing a day

Comment

Originally posted by Sly_D

I don't necessarily get which mode goes best with which chord pattern. One thing at a time, I JUST undestood modes correctly... at 37, your brain works perfectly well but it starts to get lousy and you're satisfied of learning one thing a day
                            well the way i see it is like this.

in a key you have 7 chords, starting from major you have (1)major, (2)minor, (3)minor, (4)major, (5) major, (6)minor, (7) halfdimished

so say when you play a C major 7 chord

--7--
                            --8--
                            --9--
                            --9--
                            --X--
                            --8--

how many possibilities do you have?
                            well according to pattern above, you have 2.

you could consider it going with the ionian mode or you could consider it goint with the lydian mode. the reason why it wouldn't be mixolydian is because the intervalic pattern wont come out to a major 7 chord, it would come out to a 7, or dominant 7th, chord.

so you have the two options of Ionian or lydian. most people would just go with ionian to get that normal happy, major sound. but other people would pick lydian. in usually pick lydian because the 1st 4 notes give off kind of a whole tone feel to it which i like alot.
                            as you know, the lydian mode's intervals are:

4-5-6-7-1-2-3

and teh ionian mode's intervals are:

1-2-3-4-5-6-7

thish ia depends on what sounds best to you. but i like using diferent modes to different chords.

now if you were to have a chord such as C7

--8--
                            --8--
                            --9--
                            --8--
                            --10-
                            --8--

the only option (as far as modes go) would be the mixolydian mode, unless you wanted to on out ans use different scales such as harmonic minor or melodic minor. but thats a different story.

this idea works for every where on the fret board. for minor, instead of using the standard aeolian i like to use dorian instead. i think it gives a much more melodic sound to it.

so if I have an A minor 7 chord

--5--
                            --5--
                            --5--
                            --5--
                            --X--
                            --5--

in a kind of latin, sounding chord progression i could use dorian. t just sounds better to me, cause you have that dominant 7 chord in there. the D7 chord which can be outlined.

there are so many ideas out there. and each mode will give you a different sound.

Comment

Man, you're like a freaking walking book!

Thanks man, maybe I should try to buy a book about scales and modes. If anyone has a good title, send it in!

Thanks moom, you're very helpful... this is getting much clearer now.

Comment

Working...
                              X