The "hard to record" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "hard to record" thread

What instrument or sound source do you have a bunion of a time recording?

My goal with this thread is for people to post the thing they have the most difficulty with capturing on "tape" so that others can explain how they do it (if they do).

You can either post something that you find hard to record, or post suggestions for someone else's problem.

I'll get it started with mine: hand claps!

No matter what I do, hand claps always come out with zero low end and completely dry sounding. They sound more like snaps than claps. I find it very challenging to get the levels and mic placement correct. My best so far is a large diaphragm condenser about 3 feet away in front of the hands, but it still sounds pretty dull.

I never have this problem with other percussion instruments, which is why this is so puzzling.

So, what's your recording difficulty? Do you have a suggestion for mine?
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Re: The "hard to record" thread

I can't help you with the hand claps, because I have enough trouble with my own personal demon.. DRUMS.

I hate recording a drumset. Hate it.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Recording drums is challenging, but there's a lot of knowledge out there on it. I've become pretty good at miking a kit, but I'm sure there are guys on here who are much better than me. What are you doing for drum recording right now (mics, placement, etc.)?

Comment

I ain't doing dink for recording drums right now.

We're paying a professional to do it.

Because I hate it.
        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Heh, I'll be happy when I can record usable guitar tones.

We've tracked V-Drums thus far... I'm sure that has saved us a ton of frustration. We have tried to record other percussion instruments (hand cymbals, tambourines, random noise makers, shakers, etc) but had a similar issue with them coming out very dry. I think most of our problem was room acoustics and the fact that we never thought to try using multiple mics to record them with.
          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I'd feel pretty nerdy using multiple mics for recording something as stupid as hand claps, but if that's what it takes ...

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
              No matter what I do, hand claps always come out with zero low end and completely dry sounding. They sound more like snaps than claps. I find it very challenging to get the levels and mic placement correct. My best so far is a large diaphragm condenser about 3 feet away in front of the hands, but it still sounds pretty dull.
              Yeah, you shouldn't be any closer then 3-4 feet for handclaps. The room should have some decent 'acoustic' tone and NOT be totally dead sounding. Best to get a few people together and double the tracks as well... single or dual claps never sound like much of anything. The "meat" of them comes from the actual hands... practice practice practice! There's no "low-end" to speak of with claps... nothing under 150-200Hz anyway.

"We Will Rock You..." was supposedly 20-30 layers of the entire band... recorded in a church.

The biggest variable with drums is the drummer themselves. If the kit sounds "good" and balanced when you're standing about 10 feet in front of it then you're at a good starting point. After that, the quality of the kit (esp. heads) and quality/tone of the room are the 2nd & 3rd biggest pieces...
              J. 'Moose' Kahrs
              mixer|producer|recordist
              mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
              All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

the one time i recorded claps (doing "space oddity"), i recorded me and the singer doing the claps at the same time, and then tripled it each time. worked pretty well IMO.
                Originally posted by Aceman
                It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

whistling
                  Originally posted by krankguitarist
                  And I *really* wouldn't lop Affliction and Ed Hardy in the same category. Affliction stuff can have a sense of subtlety to it.

Comment

For a drum kit try a spaced pair of overheads, one directly over the kick drum and one over the drummer's right shoulder. Common sense should tell you the rest. LDCs work best for this. Hang the cymbols low, and pray your drummer has control over them.

Then put another LDC out the front of the kit, four feet off the ground and three feet from the kit, say. This is all from memory, so play around. These three mics are the main sound, or image, of the kit.

Then mix in kick and snare close mics.

Works wonders. And it's simple.

Comment

The biggest problrm on drum recording is to find the right set for the right application.
                      Many drummers have their Fav snare ,and use it live..But that piece of equipment works mostly not well in Studio...
                      Sometimes trying to record a Powermetal masterpiece on a Vintage Maple drumset is not right...Like trying to play Slow hand blues with LiveWire HeavyMetal set on a BC Rich Warlock!

I have a big problem on recording the Whistles too.It's just never ever good enough!
                      www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by ModestCargo View Post
                        For a drum kit try a spaced pair of overheads, one directly over the kick drum and one over the drummer's right shoulder. Common sense should tell you the rest. LDCs work best for this. Hang the cymbols low, and pray your drummer has control over them.

Then put another LDC out the front of the kit, four feet off the ground and three feet from the kit, say. This is all from memory, so play around. These three mics are the main sound, or image, of the kit.

Then mix in kick and snare close mics.

Works wonders. And it's simple.
                        I didn't intend to give the impression that I don't know how to record drums. Just that I don't enjoy doing it.
                        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                          I didn't intend to give the impression that I don't know how to record drums. Just that I don't enjoy doing it.
                          Wasn't really directed at you man; just a general comment on how I like to do it. And yeah, it's not the most fun thing in the world sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by ModestCargo View Post
                            Wasn't really directed at you man; just a general comment on how I like to do it. And yeah, it's not the most fun thing in the world sometimes.
                            No problem dude - your info was sound, for sure.
                            -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
                              Many drummers have their Fav snare ,and use it live..But that piece of equipment works mostly not well in Studio...
                              Sometimes trying to record a Powermetal masterpiece on a Vintage Maple drumset is not right...
                              Sometimes... I've seen lots of 'metal' folks rent in old Gretsch, Sonor & Ludwig kits for recording & use their Ayottes or DW kits live. A lot of it depends on the head choice & tuning... cymbal choice is HUGE.

My favorite 4-mic method for drums is kick; snare mic about 3-6" off the side of the shell, not on the head; a single overhead over the drummers right shoulder aimed slightly towards the ride and rack toms; and the last mic pointing OVER the floor tom so its 'looking' at the rack tom & snare.

I'll start with the overhead and add the kick & side mics, snare last... Move them all around while listening in one speaker mono until the image & phase is clear.

It's a variation on the 'classic' 3-mic technique that guys like Andy & Glenn Johns used for Zeppelin; Keith Moon & other stuff from that era.

Two overheads ends up being a little too cymbal heavy, the toms get lost.
                              J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                              mixer|producer|recordist
                              mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                              All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Working...
                              X