Work in progress, please comment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work in progress, please comment

Well, I recently started recording and this is my first track. It's an experiment in both songwriting and recording, so please listen and comment on any aspects of it, either recording techniques or tone/playing tips, etc.

Check it out
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: Work in progress, please comment

Bring the guitars out more. The drums drown them out. This can be done by increasing the volume of the guitar tracks, and probably cutting some of the real low frequencies on the drum tracks (the bass drum is the worst offender)

The beginning clean parts seem to favor the left speaker too. Beyond that, it's definitely pretty good.

Comment

Right now I have the drums set to full mix, the clean parts panned to center left, the dirty/rhythm panned to right center, and finally the lead panned center. Taking the volume of the kick down a bit is a good idea, and I think I'm going to go ahead and full mix the guitars as well to see how that sounds. Thanks for the reply and checking out the song.

Comment

Hello Fretfire, i would say like Tom M, i think the drum is to loud, but, i can't really help you technically because i'm the little new boy who don't know a lot, but I found your song pretty good, got a great sound

I would said keep going like this, that's pretty damn good

Keep rocking !
        May the force be with you !

Comment

Yeah, I'm gonna fix the drum levels tonight. I also need to re-do the solo, that was a one-off experiment to test a few ideas and I don't really like the way it came out, but it gave me plenty of ideas. Thanks for all the comments .

Comment

Hey Fretfire, can you send me the guitar tab of your song, because we've got a show at my high school, and i want to play a song, and i think youre could do pretty damn good the job, i just love your song

That's if you want, at the same time, give me the name of your band so i can say it's one of your song because i'm not gonna say i wrote it, no way !

I really like your song, so if ya want, juste send me the tab by e-mail or private message
            May the force be with you !

Comment

Nice work man. I thought the guitars all had a nice sound and the playing and arrangement was very nice. When the heavy guitar first comes in it sounds like there is a channel switching issue or something but that is very minor. I'll check it out again after the drums are lowered in the mix. nice work.
              MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Comment

I really like it. It's got a cool vibe. Perhaps you've fixed the mix, but the drums don't sound overly loud thru my speakers...just a tad perhaps, but that's it.
                My Sound Clips

Comment

Skywalker, thanks for the interest, but unfortunately I don't have the song tabbed out right now, and finding time to sit down and record this past two weeks has been pretty rough, so something like tabbing it out would probably be even worse. I do take the request as quite a compliment though. Oh and my band's name is Slowfall, if you were still curious.

Last night I posted a re-mixed version, so that's probably why the drums weren't overpowering. I have also noticed the issue with the change to dirty guitar at the first chorus, and when I go in this weekend to re-take over that nasty solo I plan on fixing that part as well. Then if I could just add some bass and lyrics I'll have a solid song.

Comment

That was cool - reminded me of the Chilli Peppers, nice one.

Comment

You know what the big problem with that song is?

You don't use Duncans on it.

Seriously though, I think that whatever kind of effect you have on the clean guitar is a bit unneccesary. Or maybe just make 2 tracks of the guitar, have one clean, and then a quieter one with that effect.

Jaganath, I'm lost, what chili peppers song does this sound like? Sounds more like Creed or something like that to me...

Comment

The song doesn't sound right because I don't use Duncans.....hard to believe haha. Seriously, no offense, but I'm not a big fan of most Duncans I've used, just personal taste and style I guess.

The only effects on the clean guitar are chorus and reverb. One thing I could check is if I put reverb on it in Cool Edit, maybe that's making it sound a little off.

Overall I was actually pretty happy with the tone on that song, I think I need to double-track the dirty parts to make them fuller, but other than that I'm stoked. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I came off sounding pretty prickish in that last post, I apologize. I completely respect SD pickups and think they can achieve some pretty righteous tones, but I simply prefer DiMarzios personally for my applications. I think both brands have exceptional pickups and don't see how my use of pickups (as long as they deliver decent non-trashy tone) could make or break the song entirely, i.e. even from a musical point of view. That was the point I was trying to make haha.

Comment

Working...
                          X