Drum Track software/creation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Track software/creation?

What are you using for drum tracks? I have an old version of Fruity Loops (like a beat box sequencer) and an M-Audio Rock Drums sample disc. It sounds OK, but I'm not sure how much of that is my programming and how much is the software. It would be great for electronic music, but any human element is missing.

So:

1. How can I improve my drum tracks? I'm aware of slightly changing volume on repeated hi hat hits, and I use a touch of "swing" to make it feel a little less mechanical. What other tips for this type of software?

2. I've heard about Drumkit from Hell, and they have several products it seems. I currently use Cakewalk 9 with NO support for VSTs, so an imbedded plug-in won't work. Is there a version that runs stand-alone and can output a .wav file? Also, it sounds good for metal and rock, but how about more laid back samples for jazz and country? It would be nice to cover a wide range of styles if I purchased software...
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: Drum Track software/creation?

I can't think of stand alone that exports? For your current set up you can try better samples from: http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/

To program great drums is very hard, you need to vary the hits on everything for at least 4 to 8 measures ideally more.
    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Check out Addictive Drums... http://www.xlnaudio.com/

Excellent acoustic drums, thousands of drag and drop MIDI files, comprehensive mixing capabilities, very simple to use.

Cheers...............................wahwah
      Highway Star
      Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
      Mistreated
      Cause We Ended As Lovers
      Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
      Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

DFH Superior 2.0 is coming out shortly. That's what I'm gonna be using .

Though, you gotta get over the $350 price tag.

Comment

Are Addictive Drums and DFH Superior both Standalone products that export files? When I was looking over the the AD site, it looked like it was only a plug-in.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Are Addictive Drums and DFH Superior both Standalone products that export files? When I was looking over the the AD site, it looked like it was only a plug-in.
            Sorry PFD, I didn't address that point which you specifically asked. Addictive Drums is only a plug-in. I really should work on my reading comprehension skills!

Cheers........................................wahw ah
            Highway Star
            Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
            Mistreated
            Cause We Ended As Lovers
            Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
            Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

You'd probably do yourself a favor to upgrade to some thing that supports vst EG Sx2,3 cubase4;sonar,home studio and others.It opens up a world of extra's. from instruments to effects to amp modelers , etc.Are you using ASIO drivers?

sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
              - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

1. How can I improve my drum tracks? I'm aware of slightly changing volume on repeated hi hat hits, and I use a touch of "swing" to make it feel a little less mechanical. What other tips for this type of software?
                Have you looked into midi files from actual players? Does FL support import of midi? If you can find some and use good samples then export each drum as a seperate .wav you should be able to get better tracks.
                Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

For those interested in Drumkit from Hell Superior, listen to forum bro "bulb"s work --- I'm sure he can tell you a thing or two about drum programming
                  my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I've been using the VST EZ drummer drumkit from hell. Sounds good right off the bat. How would I benefit from using Drumkit from hell superior?
                    Splawn Quickrod
                    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
                    Marshall 1960A with Splawn SB speakers
                    Mesa Boogie Standard cab with V30's

PRS CE24
                    PRS Baritone
                    Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

A new software package would be great, but I don't think it's in the cards until I get a new computer. I know there are benefits, but it's also some $$$. Right now I'm using Cakewalk like ProTools was used in the late 90's, I drag and drop wavs and mp3s in some tracks, and use other tracks like a tape machine, set cues and punch in and out. It has plug ins for reverbs and delays, etc. Too be honest, I don't even know ASIO drivers are! lol

Fruity Loops is a MIDI based sequencer I believe, I think I can output my tracks as MIDI files, and I can certainly load other MIDI files. That's a good idea too look for other people's drum tracks to study. One thing that's interested me about these new sample sets are the left and right strikes, I'm going to try to simulate that with pitch and volume differences. How exactly do the Humanize functions work on DFH, etc.?

I'm using a POD for input for Bass DI, Guitar DI and it's mic pre simulation for mics and will be using synths and keys straight in. (Old school, the computer is literally functioning like a tape recorder and mixing console in Cakewalk. )
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

You could try FL Studio with NS Kit Free - you get a fair few velocity layers then. Even better, run Kontakt or similar under FLS (or your sequencer of choice) - a proper software sampler/rompler will let you add random humanisation to the hits - slight timing and velocity variation that can really add movement and a sense of "realness" to the patterns.
                        The police shall receive NO sandwiches!

Comment

Too be honest, I don't even know ASIO drivers are! lol
                          ASIO= Audio System In Out. Drivers to run your sound card.They are made to be "low latency"[short to zero drag time ] and are usually far better to use than standard audio drivers.They are usually part of the driver package that's associated with your sound card /motherboard[if it's on board sound].

There's probably an option in your cakewalk[usually settings] to
                          1. set the drivers
                          2. what type of driver.[It should give options,unless there are none.]

Updates can usually be found on the net.
                          sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                          - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Working...
                          X