Ancient History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient History

I finally got some old stuff from the 80's posted on Soundclick. The Ya-Yas were a band I auditioned for, but never joined. As the band broke up, they wanted to document their stuff, and so asked me to record four songs and play guitar. We had to get a drummer friend of mine to re-create the drum parts, since the original drummer had already left and gone into the Army.

Anyway, I've been dragging cassettes of this stuff around for 20 years. My friend Tina (the second vocalist) had already written her guitar parts before I arrived - she plays the bright, sparse, funky rhythm parts throughout. Tina played a MIJ Paisley Telecaster through a Marshall 4010 combo.

All the other guitars that are coming & going are me. All played on my old black Schecter PT, through my all-Boss pedalboard and a JCM800 2203 head with a 1960 cab with two EVs in it.

The tape was recorded on a borrowed Tascam 246 (the biggest, baddest, best-sounding 4-track cassette machine ever built) in various basements around Philly and Newark, DE.

In hindsight, I think we did some fun stuff. The band could/should have been a lot tighter. All the intricate little voacl and guitar parts that are in and out need to be spot-on, or they're just clutter.

Enjoy....

The Ya-Yas in the 21st Century
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: Ancient History

very cool, rich

certainly captures a lot of what the predominant flavors for guitar tones, song writing and arrangement were ... i'dve come and seen you guys live and dug it ... you couldve easily opened for the hooters or robert hazard or beru review or any of the other 80s philly sound bands
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Hehe that took me back....seem to remember a few movies with this style of music!
      Amd some radiostuff that sounded like this as well!
      Fun timewarp!

Comment

Got enough chorus and flanger on it for ya?
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

A tad more....and we would have moonboots and puffy jackets on again

Comment

Working...
          X