banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question Regarding a John Petrucci Technique...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Regarding a John Petrucci Technique...

Ok, there is one trick that John uses exclusively that continues to baffle me...

I really don't know how to explain it. It almost sounds like an orca's screaming death or something.

An example of it is on "Under A Glass Moon" off of 'Images and Words' at around 5:23. It's an down stroke and upstroke glide sort of manuever. Almost looks like he's hitting some pinch harmonics and then sliding his palm up and down the fretboard. It's extremely fast and I haven't a clue where to begin. If anyone else has any advice or ideas about this technique, please post. Thanks a lot!

Re: Question Regarding a John Petrucci Technique...

Yeah I know what you mean...sounds like a variation on VH's cascading stuff..hmm hehe will dig into it, neat little trick.

Comment

Thanks Rid. I found out by watching the Live in Tokyo video again that it has something to do with his whammy bar. It's shown that he hits then notes somehow then abruptly hits the whammy down and releases it, then slides his right hand down the strings for a moment. It's confusing, but kickass so I appreciate you looking into it.

Comment

As far as I know, its flutter on the trem Sounds just like it, and thats what the tab for the UAGM solo in the Wild Stringdom book has it down as anyway.
        Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
        Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
        Carl Martin Rock Drive
        ISP Decimator
        BOSS DD-3
        Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Comment

if you're talking about that stutter sound that is in 5:23. yes its done with the trem,
          what you gotta do is spin the bar to face away from the guitar (opposite direction of the fretboard...)
          then you gotta push the bar down but not in a smooth motion, but give it a little shove and release. this will make the bar go down a tad, and then bounch back to tune giving that stutter sound.
          Guitars:
          -Ibanez RG2820CTTW Limited Edition (with Dimarzio Steve's Special bridge and Air Norton neck)
          -Peavey Harley Peavey Signature Guitar
          -Admira spanish classical guitar

Amps:
          - Line6 POD 2.3 Rack with poweramp and cab
          - Marshall 1st Generation Valvestate combo
          SHREDDING IN THE HOLY LAND

Comment

oh.. the satch pinch ...

when doing a pinch harmonic, lower the tremolo, then raise it and lower it.. it'll sound really .. well, interesting lol, for more weird sounds, lower the trem, then dont normaly release it, but let it go, so it'll jump up and wiggle back and forth by itself for a moment

Comment

Working...
            X