banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Billy Gibbons & Joe Walsh - slide tunings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Gibbons & Joe Walsh - slide tunings?

I've been listening to some old-school rock by two guys who mixed a lot of slide in with their normal playing. In particular, let's talk about a couple classic tunes that everybody knows - "Tush" and "Rocky Mountain Way".

Standard tuning?
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: Billy Gibbons & Joe Walsh - slide tunings?

can't say about Tush but I play RMW in standard. It's just easier cause I also do the wah in that song.
    "Beware the fury of a patient man "
    " The future ain't what it used to be "

Matthew 12:36,37

Comment

I'm pretty certain that Billy Gibbons does all his slide in standard. Joe Walsh said that Duane Allman showed him how to play slide in open E. I am not that familiar with Rocky Mountain way so I can't be certain, but I think it is open E or D.
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I've seen a YouTube video of Walsh playing RMW back in the old days, where he switched guitars between an extended talkbox solo, and the slide solo that followed. Makes me think he maybe used a different tuning, but who knows?

Either way, that rates up there as one of the all-time great little bits of rock and roll music, that transition from the talkbox solo, "Wout-wout-wout-wouuuww, wout-wout-wout-wouuuww", and then, short crescendo, BAM!, band entrance, slide solo, outro, the works. Fun stuff.
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Joe Walsh used open E for the first bits of Rocky Mountain Way, another guitar tuned to standard for the talkbox solo, and then switched back to the open E guitar for the end. He still does that nowadays too.
          The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
          And Here on Bandcamp!
          Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

Billy Gibbons uses Open G for Tush

can't remember where I read him say that though.....
            and it's easier than a Las Vegas hooker to play too
            Im very easy to satisfy; just give me a '58 Les Paul, a '52 Fender Tele w/ Bigsby, a '63 Gibson ES-335, a '62 Marshall JTM45, a '59 Fender Bassman, and a dozen or so assorted vintage Fender blackfaces and tweeds to play through and Ill be just fine

Line 6 = tone herpes

Comment

Working...
            X