Stratocaster Players: Which Position For Leads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratocaster Players: Which Position For Leads

This is mainly for research, so I figured it belonged in this forum area.

If you own a Stratocaster (traditional: all single coils or equivalent size pickups), and use it for lead work, which pickup position do you find yourself most often in when playing solos? Please vote accordingly.

Me, I find usually I'm in middle or bridge position, depending on what music I'm playing, but with my recent Hendrix and Pink Floyd crazes, almost as often I'm in the neck position.

Anyways, thanks!
    Neck
    35.29%
    Neck + Middle
    8.82%
    Middle
    8.82%
    Middle + Bridge
    11.76%
    Bridge
    14.71%
    Other
    20.59%

The poll is expired.

My Website || My Music
    Originally posted by US Declaration of Independence
    ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
    Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Re: Stratocaster Players: Which Position For Leads

With Strats I like to use a technique I picked up from watching Yngwie play, and I've seen Eric Johnson and George Lynch do this too. From the 10th-12th fret on down I like to use the bridge pickup, and fromthere on up I tend to use the neck pickup. That's my general style but of course there's exceptions. I alter the pickup setting as needed to get the sound I want, that could be at ANY position.

Comment

you know, you should include the super strat option(HB in the bridge) its like 40% of the forum.
      Active Duty Rig:
      MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
      Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

B2d, I think YJM goes for the neck 90% of the time he sweeps ...
        Active Duty Rig:
        MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
        Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Never a consistent. All depends on the music I'm playing, the tone I'm going for etc.

Though, now that theres a humbucker in the bridge of my strat I find I'm using the middle pickup where I would have used the bridge pickup before. I also really like the bridge/middle with this humbucker because even though it doesn't auto split, there are three coils on and it's a huge sound for leads.
          Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
          I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
          Andrew - None

Comment

I really like using the neck a lot of the time, but the bridge has a place as well. So it depends..
            My Soundclick

Comment

All three....sometimes the betweens as well.

Comment

I like the middle spot with overdrive and the neck for cleans, but I'm getting a 5-way switch installed soon with a blender pot and that all might change.
                - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
                - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
                - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
                - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
                - Tungsten Buckwheat
                - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
                - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
                - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

I keep switching, even during leads. It's like changing gears.
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

i generally use the neck or neck+middle position
                    Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                    yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

I use them all, sometimes several in a single solo. I figure, if there are lots of usable tones, it would be a shame to waste them.
                      Originally posted by tone4days
                      we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                        I keep switching, even during leads. It's like changing gears.
                        Same here. I can't keep from goofing with the volume & tone knobs, either. Plus, I have a switch to add the bridge pickup, so I use that a lot, too.
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by scottish View Post
                          i generally use the neck or neck+middle position
                          I use mostly the neck and sometimes the bridge+middle position.

Comment

All of them except middle I guess. And bridge since I've got buckers there. But autosplits rock. I think position 4 for country style leads, bridge HB and neck for dirty Blues, position 2 for clean Bluesy stuff. Anything way high gain will be bridge, I'm not a fan of a neck pickup high gain lead tone.

Comment

I use B2D's strategy, as well. I think it would be cool to have a guitar with pickups similar to a P-bass, where you have a neck pickup for the high strings only, and bridge pickup for the low strings only.

George Lynch had a cool idea for a guitar with one motorized pickup that would move back and forth from the neck to the bridge position. You could either control the speed & destination, or turn it on automatic where it just kept going back and forth. It turned out not to work, because they couldn't keep the pickup from transmitting the noise from the motor.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                              X