odd thing happening with VSTs in MAC - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd thing happening with VSTs in MAC - HELP

hey you dudes with MACs using VSTs in garage band and/or logic, I gots a question for ya....

a lot of times when I open a VST (say, Amplitube 2 [full] or Revalver MKIII [demo]) on my imac the little controler screen that's supposed to show the amp will be blank, and if I click somewhere inside it, a part of the picture of the amp appears. it's like a game where I have to assemble the picture with clicks. doesn't always happen, but enough to be annoying.

anyone know why this would happen?

Re: odd thing happening with VSTs in MAC - HELP

I'm a bit confused, as neither Garageband or Logic supports VST instruments or plugins - they're 100% AU based. Are you running the standalone version, in that case, ontop of GB/Logic?

What are the specs on your machine? With Revalver, it doesn't really surprise me, as I've heard of other GUI issues with the demo, but I'm not familiar enough with Amplitube to know if it's got that glitch, as well.

Does the issue have anything to do with how many other programs you have open?
    www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
      I'm a bit confused, as neither Garageband or Logic supports VST instruments or plugins - they're 100% AU based. Are you running the standalone version, in that case, ontop of GB/Logic?

What are the specs on your machine? With Revalver, it doesn't really surprise me, as I've heard of other GUI issues with the demo, but I'm not familiar enough with Amplitube to know if it's got that glitch, as well.

Does the issue have anything to do with how many other programs you have open?
      Although I shouldn't, I say "VST" anymore to just mean any type of plug-in, like "Kleenax" for tissue. But the plugs are 100% AU-based. The machine is a few months old, mainly the stock imac with a bit more storage space [I'll have to check on the actual specs later, but it wasn't really "beefed up" for the purpose of recording - I thought it'd be powerful enough in stock form to do my piddly little recordings]. usually, the recording program is the only thing running, except for maybe skype, that video chat thing that my wife installed, but it sort of just sits there until it receives a call. maybe the wireless dealio is trying to maintain a good connection - should I temporarily disable the internet during heavy duty recording stuff? I haven't even begun to bog it down - I've only tested the plugs to see if I'm going to use them! When I get rolling, there's going to be like 10 guitars with about 5 distinct/different amp sims running (that's not counting the bass tracks, which will be at least 2 more sims going). If it can't handle that, I'm going to have to process the guitars individually, then mix from there. I don't really record into the imac, I import raw (direct-recorded clean guitar tracks from a fostex) WAVs and then goof with them.
      Last edited by DankStar; 05-14-2008, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Those plugins probably are ram hogs. How much ram do you have? You will also max the function of your machine if you bounce down the track and take the plugin off after. Also, you might have to disable things in the system to get the most bang out of the imac. Audio recording really taxes a computer.
        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Your machine should be able to handle them fine - it's probably a quirk on the manufacturer's part.

I'd advise against running the amp sims live, especially on that many guitars. Revalver is an absolute HOG! Definitely apply it, bounce the track, and re-import into the project.

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
          Those plugins probably are ram hogs. How much ram do you have? You will also max the function of your machine if you bounce down the track and take the plugin off after.

You've got a point on wanting to have a lot of RAM, but plugins run off of CPU power (aside from samplers, which load sounds into RAM). More RAM will help the computer 'breathe' and 'think' better, but it won't drastically change the amount of plugins you'll be able to run.
          www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
            Your machine should be able to handle them fine - it's probably a quirk on the manufacturer's part.

I'd advise against running the amp sims live, especially on that many guitars. Revalver is an absolute HOG! Definitely apply it, bounce the track, and re-import into the project.

You've got a point on wanting to have a lot of RAM, but plugins run off of CPU power (aside from samplers, which load sounds into RAM). More RAM will help the computer 'breathe' and 'think' better, but it won't drastically change the amount of plugins you'll be able to run.
            Hmmm, are you sure about that? Check the system requirements for each plugin and you'll know the answer.
            Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 05-14-2008, 07:44 AM.
            Pulse 2AM - YouTube
            Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

thanks dudes. I'll plan on bouncing and then mixing the processed tracks. I wanted to lessen the amount of bouncing for quality's sake, but who am I teasing - I'm not trying to be Bob Rock, I'm just getting some ideas down for somethin' to do. I probably won't even notice a difference. Not like it used to be with 4-track tapes, that's for sure. Bouncing used to really lessen the quality back then.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                thanks dudes. I'll plan on bouncing and then mixing the processed tracks. I wanted to lessen the amount of bouncing for quality's sake, but who am I teasing - I'm not trying to be Bob Rock, I'm just getting some ideas down for somethin' to do. I probably won't even notice a difference. Not like it used to be with 4-track tapes, that's for sure. Bouncing used to really lessen the quality back then.
                You won't notice it, you're right. There are far more important things to consider like performance. The saying crap in crap out should be pasted on your monitor!
                Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

You won't notice it, you're right. There are far more important things to consider like performance. The saying crap in crap out should be pasted on your monitor!
                  unfortunately, the performance is the weakest part of my whole equation. but i have fun doing it.

Comment

Hmmm, are you sure about that? Check the system requirements for each plugin and you'll know the answer.
                    While they may list a RAM requirement, the actual processing the plugin does uses CPU power, which is why makers like UAD have internal cards to run the plugins - it's not an issue of increasing RAM, but an issue of freeing up/dedicating CPU power to plugin use.

If you install more RAM and notice you can run another instance or two of a plugin, it's because the RAM helps the efficiency of the machine as a whole, but because the plugin is running off RAM.

Just think - which machine will run more plugins; a 2.4Ghz Core2Duo setup with 1GB of RAM, or a 2Ghz Pentium 4 with 2 gigs of RAM?

From personal experience, I know the C2D machine, even with just 1GB, will dominate the P4.
                    Last edited by Virtual Kevorkian; 05-14-2008, 11:32 AM.
                    www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

If you are using Logic, the other option to bouncing the tracks would be to freeze them, which will at least give you the option of unfreezing them later and editing your amp sims and other plug ins if you need to at mixdown. The frozen tracks will give you back the CPU power being used up by running the plug ins live. You can do this track by track, and once you are happy with each track you can make a final bounce of it.

Cheers......................................wahwah
                      Highway Star
                      Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                      Mistreated
                      Cause We Ended As Lovers
                      Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
                      Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

Originally posted by wahwah View Post
                        If you are using Logic, the other option to bouncing the tracks would be to freeze them, which will at least give you the option of unfreezing them later and editing your amp sims and other plug ins if you need to at mixdown. The frozen tracks will give you back the CPU power being used up by running the plug ins live. You can do this track by track, and once you are happy with each track you can make a final bounce of it.

Cheers......................................wahwah
                        cool - I'll look into that more. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X