Area 58-58-61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Area 58-58-61

I re-recorded an original jam tune ... just for the Areas in a real situation ... both thru a Brown Note D'Lite 22/33 at same settings

0:00-Bridge-Mid Notch
    1:10 Neck
    1:32 Neck-Mid Notch
    1:57 Middle
    2:13 Bridge
    2:45 then back to Bridge-Mid Notch at to end

This is the original tune for reference ... Stock Legacy Pickups ... all middle-bridge notch

What do you think about tone and texture?

Re: Area 58-58-61

That was fantastic Doveman! Great comparison. Now that I heard the Dimarzios in a mix compared with the G&L I'm really really liking the sound of the Dimarzios so much more. G&Ls are fantastic pickups. Very classy but I'm tellin ya bro the Areas take the cake! I'd like to hear more of that bridge pickup in the mix.

Comment

Both clips sounded great but yeah, the dimarzios sound more "strat-esque"

The clips reminded me of Wayne Krantz, uber cool stuff!!!!
      Originally posted by Guitarist
      Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
      http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Comment

I don't know ... I'm torn ... I like the quiet of the Areas. They have some good tones. But I'm not sure the notches have as much texture.

Now the original was all on the mid-bridge notch ... so you can't make direct comparisons on all the pup settings. Most of the new cut is on mid-bridge notch too though. If you could hear them all ... I think the Legacy is much more Strat ... but interesting feedback.

I mean there are no bad pickups here ... ... just opportunities for player improvement

EDIT: One more thing ... the Areas "zing" that bothers me a bit seems to be helped with lowering the pups a bit and dropping the volume on the guitar slightly. The exception is the '61 bridge setting ... in the clip I started with the volume left on 9 (@ 2:13) then quickly brought it up to 10 ... you can hear the difference ... it sounds better without the volume roll off.
        Last edited by doveman; 06-21-2008, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Nice man, I was considering getting these but decided on the higher output Cruisers. I really liked that Strat tone.

Comment

I think I'm getting closer and closer on the adjustments (heights) that are giving me better tone and feel. I've learned a couple of setup tricks with strat pups that have helped quite a bit.

Right now the volume pot has a single cap on it (treble pass) that helps let through treble when the volumes are turned down. When I drop the volume to 9 it helps the tone on all pup settings except the bridge (keep it at 10). But they thin out quickly after that ...

I may try removing the cap, adding a resistor in series to add back bass ... experiment with several cap and resistor values. I've had good luck fine tuning guitars with this treble pass (a.k.a. treble bleed). Half of my guitars have this mod.

I think I'm going to make it work with these Areas ... if I do ... all of my guitars (except P90) will have noiseless capability and match up with my new Brown Note amp ... with just a few adjustments. I will be a happy with that ... .
            Last edited by doveman; 06-22-2008, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Beautiful sounds, all of them. There's so much going on in the taste and sheer quality of your playing that it probably comes down to which pickups feel best to you. A pleasure to hear you play guitar, and the amp sounds fantastic.

Cheers......................................wahwah
              Highway Star
              Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
              Mistreated
              Cause We Ended As Lovers
              Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
              Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

agreed with wah wah .. just a total nice package to listen to ... i didnt hear as much distinction in the notches as i mightve expected, but the sum total was just real good music

t4d
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Reminds me of Mark Knopfler (sp?) in tone - cool tones and playing.
                  Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                  Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Nice comments

I played the guitar straight for 2.5 hours today ... trying slight adjustments settings in the mids and presence on the amp. I think I'm going to be able to make these Area 58-58-61 pups work. Plus I will try the adjustments on the 'treble pass" mod ... but wide open on volumes I can make this work I think ... the mod doesn't affect wide open on the volume anyway ... just when rolled off.

I should be able to get what I want out of these Areas and they are very quiet. I'm feeling pretty good about it right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X