Anyone Else Experience This?.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Else Experience This?.......

Im not sure what my deal is but all the guitar riffs I make up just don't fully satisfy me and I just end up shooting them down sooner or later. Its weird because I'm pretty easily satisfied by everyone elses music but I just can't seem to dig anything that I compose. Are my standards for myself to high? Am I expecting to much from myself? Anyone else find themself feeling the same way?
    Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 08-27-2004, 02:51 AM.
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Re: Anyone Else Experience This?.......

be lucky you have enough skill to make up riffs at all... I can only copy sh*t, now at least! (I think I've perfected the art of copying)

I have found that as for myself, and many others, we judge ourselves much too harshly for one because we can see imperfections no one else can see, for another because we put more weight on these imperfections ourselves.

It's probably a good thing. Just keep pushing yourself til you get closer to a riff you like... and as you go you'll be becoming a better player as the same time. It all balances out

One thing I like to do is record myself and play it back as if it's something you didn't create. Sometimes you're surprised at yourself. For good and bad reasons! It's all perspective. (no... I don't think I'm quite good enough to post anything on this forum yet, however!)
    dan

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

ditto on everything said above (except the copying riff thing....olol)
      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
      fender mim standard strat
      peavey classic 30
      johnson j-station
      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
      yamaha f-310p acoustic
      taylor 410 acoustic
      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Not unusual at all. I throw out riffs all the time. You'd be suprised how your subconscious will recylce those thrown out riffs in a new context; so, don't worry about it. I would worry more if you thought everything you wrote was the proverbial golden egg ...
        Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 08-27-2004, 03:45 PM.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
        X