banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you guys hide the pick when called for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you guys hide the pick when called for?

I tend to either put the pick between the lips, or inside a bended long finger. However, it is sometimes not fast enough, for example when playing the part at around 1:06 of Eric Johnson's Manhattan. I can do it just fine at its own, but in the context where I have to hide the pick, I don't have the time for that.
    My Soundclick

Re: Where do you guys hide the pick when called for?

Generally in a bended index finger if I need my thumb specifically, but other times I'll just use hybrid picking and getter done.
    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Comment

Are you allowed to say butt cheeks here?
      Pulse 2AM - YouTube
      Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

I've been trying to master curling it in my index finger. First person I saw do it that way was Randy Flowers, and the way the guy does it is seamless. You can see it in the first 45 seconds of this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoYQTBKKlwc
        Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I have a bad habit of putting it in my mouth. I say "bad" because I nearly swallowed it once.
          Rick
          (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
          Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Comment

i find a slot on the guitar to drop it into.. i've managed to find a little gap in each of my bridges to drop or cram the tip of it into.

Comment

pin a badge on your strap and use it as a pick holder. just make sure the badge won't fall apart.
              "Just a clown in a one-horse town with a broken down second hand car."

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                I've been trying to master curling it in my index finger. First person I saw do it that way was Randy Flowers, and the way the guy does it is seamless. You can see it in the first 45 seconds of this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoYQTBKKlwc
                Tucking the pick away seems easy and quick. The guy in the video appears to use a sustained note to take the time to return the pick to "normal use" position. Looks like it would just take a bit of practice to do effectively.

Whenever I find myself wanting to switch between the pick and fingers I tuck it into a curled finger and slide it back out when I need it. I tend to do this more when playing bass than guitar. On guitar I usually just alternate between pick only and hybrid, depending on the tune/feel. It's not something I consciously worked on, after a while it was just a habitual sort of thing. I think it came about from dropping picks in the middle of a song and not wanting to stop playing. Instead of developing a "fingers only" style, however, I began tucking the pick away at certain moments.

Comment

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Thomas blug is very good at what you're describing, as well as being annoyingly talented at playing the guitar too, heh.

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                    I find it much easier to pay somebody else to nibble them rather than attempt to do it myself.

I mean I've got mad respect for those of you who can get into the positions required for such a task but I'm just not that flexible.

Comment

I eat them, then grab another from the mic stand clip.
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
                        Are you allowed to say butt cheeks here?
                        Uhm, takes too much time.

Originally posted by DazH View Post
                        Thomas blug is very good at what you're describing, as well as being annoyingly talented at playing the guitar too, heh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLTkQoo8r_Y
                        Yeah, the index is good for this, as many others have advocated. But I need the index to be free for the run in the song I mentioned.. I found that it can be possible to curl it up inside a bended ring finger, so I'll spend some time to perfection the technique..

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                        I eat them, then grab another from the mic stand clip.
                        Harcore, dude.
                        My Soundclick

Comment

Not really, the picks I use are made from dessicated donut.
                          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I usually always use a pick. I never have to tuck it away. I just use the pick and fingers approach, if i want to play fingerstyle.

I put my extra picks under the pickguard of the strat. Or i just put one in my shirt pocket - its easy to take out too.
                            my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
                            A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

For quick passages I usually just hold the pick in my mouth. I've also been able to hold it a curled finger, but on more complicated passages I tend to drop them.

For long or difficult passages I have a habit of tossing my picks on top of my amp. My amp is also my pick holder - I've wedged a whole bunch of picks between the white piping and frame of my amp - so turning around and grabbing a pick is somewhat natural" to me. If the one I tossed isn't on top of the amp, I just grab a new one...

If you look carefully, you can see the picks I have stored at the bottom of the top cab.
                              Last edited by lex666; 01-25-2012, 10:22 AM.
                              If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                              DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Working...
                              X