Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bridge of Sighs

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
    Wow. well Mr. Wells.... it's my eldest sons 17th birthday on the 15th and my partner Jane's birthday on the 29th, so I'm charging the tickets to YOU and really look forward to rocking with ya then!!

Oh yeah, I loved the clip, I actually thought the fuzzy sound was great... All the best. Don.
    Let me just check my Qantas frequent flyer points....

Cheers.................................... Geoff.
    Highway Star
    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
    Mistreated
    Cause We Ended As Lovers
    Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
    Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

Originally posted by wahwah View Post
      Hehe....I'd really like that! I'm actually creating my own little time capsule, back to the years from 1965-1975, with my new project called The Geoff Wells Experiment! Our first gig is on October 8th here in Melbourne, and the repertoire is some of my favorite songs from that era, including stuff from Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Free and Jeff Beck...you're all invited, of course! Australia's not that far away! The good people at Seymour Duncan Australia and Dominant Music, the Australian Seymour Duncan distributor, are presenting the shows...I can't wait!

Cheers....................................... wahwah
      Cool! I will definitely be visiting Australia sometime, and when I do, I hope I can sync it up with some sort of show you'll be doing. Unless you're rocking out in Wembley or something..
      My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
        Cool! I will definitely be visiting Australia sometime, and when I do, I hope I can sync it up with some sort of show you'll be doing. Unless you're rocking out in Wembley or something..
        I don't think that will be happening again in this lifetime Tor, although, you never know! It would be great to see you here in Oz!

By the way guys, I have updated the file, the new recording is still fuzzy, but not as fuzzy!

Cheers...................................... wahwah
        Highway Star
        Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
        Mistreated
        Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Sounds better to me.
          Pulse 2AM - YouTube
          Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Sounds great, tho I missed the first one. Unfortunately can't make it to OZ, so you'll have to post some clips. Oh, and add some Eagles, Cream, and Allman Bros. stuff to that and it would be even better!
            Guitars:
            http://my.opera.com/KK91/albums/slideshow/?album=969652

Comment

Man now it sounds straight out of the late 60s now....
              Like both versions......totally dig the dirty non polished edge to these things!

Comment

We will definitely be recording the gigs, but releasing it would be a copyright nightmare. I will certainly be sneaking a few tracks on here and some video on YouTube.

I'm not sure how the laws work over there, but in the States you can get rights to a cover song for "limited distribution" w/o a lot of expense. The "limited" part of it is that you're held to 1000 copies and they say its for "demo" purposes, but I know a band that paid for a few Beatles tunes on an EP and it really wasn't that much money. Want to say it was a little over $100 usd for 3 songs? That was several years ago... there are ways around it.

Anywhoo, Geoff ~ Since you're primarily a strat player, how do you deal with the vibe/fuzz 'identity crisis' that comes along with those pieces? Not being a strat player myself, when I pick one up it's too easy to engage autopilot and hit all the stock Jimi/Stevie licks... adding a fuzz/vibe makes it worse. Hard to avoid that vocabulary since it's burned into my head!!! I just can't help but feel 'my' identity is gone with the Strat/fuzz/vibe setup... any tips?
                J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                mixer|producer|recordist
                mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
                  I'm not sure how the laws work over there, but in the States you can get rights to a cover song for "limited distribution" w/o a lot of expense. The "limited" part of it is that you're held to 1000 copies and they say its for "demo" purposes, but I know a band that paid for a few Beatles tunes on an EP and it really wasn't that much money. Want to say it was a little over $100 usd for 3 songs? That was several years ago... there are ways around it.
                  Thanks for that information Mr Moose, innerdream was also suggesting that it might not be too difficult/expensive. I will have to investigate further. I've got my own album of instrumental tracks coming out to coincide with these gigs, but it would be great to capture this live band as well.

Anywhoo, Geoff ~ Since you're primarily a strat player, how do you deal with the vibe/fuzz 'identity crisis' that comes along with those pieces? Not being a strat player myself, when I pick one up it's too easy to engage autopilot and hit all the stock Jimi/Stevie licks... adding a fuzz/vibe makes it worse. Hard to avoid that vocabulary since it's burned into my head!!! I just can't help but feel 'my' identity is gone with the Strat/fuzz/vibe setup... any tips?
                  You know what, I have a lot more fun just succumbing to it! There's so much beauty in what the likes of Jimi, Trower and Stevie did with a Strat that I thoroughly enjoy just getting swept up in it and paying homage to it, and letting things like a vibe and a fuzz just take me there. I don't feel that these things are a threat to my identity through the instrument, because the truth is that all of those players, and many others, are already amalgamated into my own playing in the form of influences. I'm happy to celebrate that, safe in the knowledge that my own voice will still come through the instrument when it's time to stand alone and play from the heart. I feel confident that I can still play straight through those effects and that they will follow my voice, but there's a lot to be learned and a lot of beauty to be enjoyed in getting inside what some of the masters did and really studying it by emulating it. These things can then be incorporated into our own playing and will add depth to it.

For example, if we could all play Gilmour's solo in Another Brick In The Wall, wouldn't that be a nice way to spend an afternoon in a world gone mad? I say yes to that. It can't take anything away from what will come through us all as individuals, but it may just add a few words to our vocabulary for when we next express ourselves. I hope some of that made sense!

Regards..................................... Geoff
                  Highway Star
                  Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                  Mistreated
                  Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Originally posted by Rid View Post
                    Man now it sounds straight out of the late 60s now....
                    Like both versions......totally dig the dirty non polished edge to these things!
                    I'm with you on that Niels...it's the rough edges that make them fun! Kevin Randall seems to really understand that when he builds his pedals.

Cheers..................................... wahwah
                    Highway Star
                    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                    Mistreated
                    Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

You know what, I have a lot more fun just succumbing to it! There's so much beauty in what the likes of Jimi, Trower and Stevie did with a Strat that I thoroughly enjoy just getting swept up in it and paying homage to it, and letting things like a vibe and a fuzz just take me there. I don't feel that these things are a threat to my identity through the instrument, because the truth is that all of those players, and many others, are already amalgamated into my own playing in the form of influences. I'm happy to celebrate that, safe in the knowledge that my own voice will still come through the instrument when it's time to stand alone and play from the heart. I feel confident that I can still play straight through those effects and that they will follow my voice, but there's a lot to be learned and a lot of beauty to be enjoyed in getting inside what some of the masters did and really studying it by emulating it. These things can then be incorporated into our own playing and will add depth to it.
                      Yeah...

I just personally feel that sound is so identified with a handful of players... and then my fingers find all those licks and I feel like I've lost my own thing.

A few years ago I was shopping for vibes in NYC, at some little guitar shop I pulled a strat off the wall and plugged into a blackface of some kind... Maybe 20 minutes in the guy behind the counter yells across the store;

"Go ahead man, crank it up & play Machine Gun..."

hahaha

I was like "Man, I honestly don't know that one..."

I mean, I know it... I've heard the tune a million times, never learned it... but it's in my subconscious and those things plop out when all the elements are in place. I don't even think about it, it just happens... That vocabulary is so established...
                      J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                      mixer|producer|recordist
                      mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

BTW - How are you liking the Gypsy Fuzz?
                        J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                        mixer|producer|recordist
                        mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

By the way guys, I have updated the file, the new recording is still fuzzy, but not as fuzzy!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6916207
                          I agree with Rid- that sounds like it's right off a late 60s/early 70s album. Amazing tone Geoff-those pedals are keepers.
                          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Kevin Randall seems to really understand that when he builds his pedals.
                            Love that....as said I have a mate with the same pedals.....the Gypsy is one mean mofo...and the vibe....well spin it up, let the guitar feed...all kinds of total fun overtones swirls around...total cool and acid in the great way!
                            Once again thanks for the very nice clip!

Comment

that vibe rules. just looked it up, its quite pricey though.
                              Originally posted by Aceman
                              It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

BTW - How are you liking the Gypsy Fuzz?
                                Yeah, the Gypsy Fuzz is a great pedal to my ears. Not only does it provide a unique flavor amongst the fuzz pedals I've tried, it also integrates much better than most fuzzes with other pedals. It works great with a wah, and stacks really well with other OD pedals. As cool as the Analogman Sunface NKT 275 is, I've never really bonded with it, whereas the Gypsy Fuzz has an instant appeal and just makes you want to keep playing it. It has just the right amount of roughness around the edges to be aggressive, without the spikey quality that can make fuzz obnoxious. It's a winner.

Cheers................................... wahwah
                                Highway Star
                                Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                                Mistreated
                                Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Working...
                                X