Soloing over power chords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloing over power chords?

Ok, I'm at that special time in my life where I need to write my first solo for an exam piece - I'm excited and scared and more than a little clueless.

The piece is in the style of 'Led Zepplin - Smoke on the water' and the solo part is 8 barres long (4/4 time/110bpm) and the chord sequence is:

G5 C5 Bb5 C5
    G5 C5 Bb5 G5

Now I'm only famililar with the Minor Pentatonic Scale and the Minor Harmonic Scale and I'm struggling to put together something that sounds good.

Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to go about putting this together to blow the examiner's socks off

Re: Soloing over power chords?

One cool thing you can do with this particular progression is modulate keys.
    For the G5/C5 chords, there are two keys that share those notes:
    G Maj and C Maj ... You also have their relative minors: E Min and A Min.

For the Bb5, you can use any key in the Cycle of Fourths because they all have Bb in them. I would suggest starting with F Maj or Bb Maj.

So, for the melody/solo line, you could do something like this:

Progression: G5-C5-Bb5-C5
    Melody/Solo: G Major or G Mixolydian Scale - C Major Scale - F Major arpeggio - E Minor arpeggio - D Minor arpeggio - C Major arpeggio

... Anyway, that's what I just played on top of this progression here at home, and it's at least a good starting point.

Explore the melodic possibilities, and once you have a lock on some ideas, don't be concerned about breaking the rules and playing notes not found in that particuar key.

Hope this helps!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Now this is why I love this place - so much knowledge

I'm going to print out all the suggestions I get - take them home and get busy learning the scales/arpeggios I don't know.

Comment

TO, my head just exploded

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
          One cool thing you can do with this particular progression is modulate keys.
          For the G5/C5 chords, there are two keys that share those notes:
          G Maj and C Maj ... You also have their relative minors: E Min and A Min.

For the Bb5, you can use any key in the Cycle of Fourths because they all have Bb in them. I would suggest starting with F Maj or Bb Maj.

So, for the melody/solo line, you could do something like this:

Progression: G5-C5-Bb5-C5
          Melody/Solo: G Major or G Mixolydian Scale - C Major Scale - F Major arpeggio - E Minor arpeggio - D Minor arpeggio - C Major arpeggio

... Anyway, that's what I just played on top of this progression here at home, and it's at least a good starting point.

Explore the melodic possibilities, and once you have a lock on some ideas, don't be concerned about breaking the rules and playing notes not found in that particuar key.

Hope this helps!
          Holy sh#t!!!

I'd just pound on the guitar till something cool fell out (or off )

Comment

i thought it'd be cool to imply some chromatic passing tones in the 2nd measure ... instead of chugging over C5 for 4 beats, think of it as C5 for 2 beats then B5 for 2 beats, then land on the first beat of the third measure on the Bb5 ... you can do the same going up .. in the third measure, play Bb5 for two beats, then B5 for two beats, landing on the first beat of the fourth measure square on the C5

it could also be cool to imply a major tonality for the first four measures, then a minor tonality for the second time around ... with a power chord, you can take some license with the 3rd of the chord ...

have fun

cheers
            t4d
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
            X