banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's try this again: 8+ track Firewire audio interface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's try this again: 8+ track Firewire audio interface?

If the occasional driver problem doesn't bother you, the saffire pro series is great in all areas, and now cheaper because of a new model. But those drivers can get screwy once a month or so. But for the price and quality, I say it's worth it. Focusrite!
    Splawn Quickrod
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
    Marshall 1960A with Splawn SB speakers
    Mesa Boogie Standard cab with V30's

PRS CE24
    PRS Baritone
    Schecter custom fuzz

Comment

Focusrite SaffirePro 26 I/O. Considering the budget, you won't get anything with a better price/performance ratio. You can also find MOTU 828MKII interfaces around $500. The Saffire has better converters and 8 decent preamps - the 828 has better drivers. You decide. In my experience, the first place of solid performance goes for ECHO Layla 3G. It's PCI but there are FW units as well that are great, too.

Neither failed me, not even once, anyway. If you set your OS right and get rid of all unnecessary data junk that stands between your interface and computer, these interfaces are solid and bullet-proof.

M-Audio ProFire 2626 might be great as well, but I have no experience with that. I really liked Octane preamps (I mean the stand-alone Octane 8 ADAT pre with M-S mic option).

The only PreSonus I've worked was a FirePod and I have a negative overall experience because of them not-so-solid drivers. The sound was okay but every 30 minutes some problem appeared.

44.1 to 48 conversion: Interesting problem. There was a small 1999 RCS converter proggy that did flawless job... Anyway, a 44.1KHz / 16bit recording with good mic placement, good microphones and good preamps and of course a thinking sound engineer behind the desk... er... keyboard and mouse will bring immensely better results than any 1024KHz / 64bit recording without experience.
      Wackor
      Ørdøg
      NecroPolo
      Diabolus in Musica
      SIDrip Alliance
      Book of Shadows
      RKH

Comment

i use a hercules 16 in 12 out firewire interface, 24 bit, i payed about £200 for it so thats about $300- $350 it does the job but you do need a good computer to use it
        our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
        'Cause all the girls are sluts,
        And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Working...
        X