Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new song "Real and True" - QOTSA/Sabbath influenced

Check out my new song: http://www.myspace.com/desertstones

Im using the same equipment as always: ToneportGX, Reaper, $100 Rogue bass, Epi SG with stock EMG81/85, ezdrummer and a $7 Starpower Nady mic. Thats it! Hey I live within my means. End of this month Ill be recording with an Shure SM58 though. I think the vocals might be better if I had a better mic cause even before adding any effects or compression I get a distortion; and rogue EQ spikes that I need to dial out sometime using white noise and then EQing.

Lookin' for constructive criticism on the mix and musicianship and whatnot. It may help me with this song or future songs. Thanks
    Last edited by everdrone; 03-03-2009, 02:05 PM.

Re: new song "Real and True" - QOTSA/Sabbath influenced

Nice vibe. The bass level is too high ,it sounds like you could't sing loud enough to open the lungs ,or maybe you where sitting I dunno!
    The guitar tone lacks a tad high-midds but not a big deal.
    The song is liquid ,it's cool!
    www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

rats, at work. gotta listen at home.

Comment

Cool vibe, primal and dark - a good mix would make it much better. Agree on the bass, try a low cut filter on there or a hi pass. The solo sounds out of context to my ears, maybe work on the mixing of it a bit more.
        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
          Nice vibe. The bass level is too high ,it sounds like you could't sing loud enough to open the lungs ,or maybe you where sitting I dunno!
          The guitar tone lacks a tad high-midds but not a big deal.
          The song is liquid ,it's cool!
          Thanks much for the insights. Your a musician and a scholar. Yeppers I was sitting down, I uploaded new vocals and tried another mix, Im trying to mix things based on this QOTSA song - link.

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
          rats, at work. gotta listen at home.
          heh - lookin forward to your comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
          Cool vibe, primal and dark - a good mix would make it much better. Agree on the bass, try a low cut filter on there or a hi pass. The solo sounds out of context to my ears, maybe work on the mixing of it a bit more.
          way cool man, I did not see your comment till after the new mix - Ill try this for a new mix on this song in a few days & keep it in mind on future songs. Thanks

Comment

I'm a big fan of anything with that 'stoner rock' kind of vibe.

As such, I definitely like it. It's missing a little something, mixing wise I guess as others have said, but I can definitely appreciate it. Mixing for me is certainly something I have to work on too.

Best of all, however, is that it sounds fun to play.

Well done

Comment

penguinmessiah - I am glad you like my music.

I did a new solo and a bit different mix...I may try mixing it again, not sure about the bass eq and whatnot...maybe its cause my M-Audio studiopro3 monitors are 3.5inches so I use them in combination with cheap headphones for bass mixing...not sure...

Ill try some new stuff, all these insights are much appreciated.
              Last edited by everdrone; 03-06-2009, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I usually put a lo shelving filter on my kick at 40Hz with a cut of around -5dbs and a lo shelving filter at 51Hz on my bass with a cut up to -11dbs though I use a synth bass so it needs it. Anyhow, I like my bass to sit on top of the kick because I tend to mix like I was mixing a dance track. Old habits die hard. Also try a cut on the kick at about 320Hz to open up the mix. Something to try...
                Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
                  I usually put a lo shelving filter on my kick at 40Hz with a cut of around -5dbs and a lo shelving filter at 51Hz on my bass with a cut up to -11dbs though I use a synth bass so it needs it. Anyhow, I like my bass to sit on top of the kick because I tend to mix like I was mixing a dance track. Old habits die hard. Also try a cut on the kick at about 320Hz to open up the mix. Something to try...
                  Thanks for emphasizing this, that is a quick fix to throw a filter on everything like that, I like quick fixes. I uploaded a new mix. I had a 12" sub in my car and definitely realize the importance of a good mix cause stray low frequencies can ding the sound up and distort the rest of the mix I think. I saved those settings you recommend to use for all future recordings. Im putting -5dbs and a lo shelving filter at 51Hz on all tracks from now on. I used those that you recommend for bass, for kick I want to do that but ezdrummer wont let me... link maybe I should make 2 ezdrummer tracks - one for bass drum and one for all else; I may try that later on. Many thanks.

Comment

Im putting -5dbs and a lo shelving filter at 51Hz on all tracks from now on.
                    Depending on the instrument and where the harmonic frequency is you can put a low cut filter on say a synth pad at 380Hz. A lot has to do with the source, guitar, bass, synth etc. Subtractive eq we have talked about here on the forum and I also posted a chart with frequency ranges that is quite useful, http://www.psbspeakers.com/audioTopi..._num=2&start=8
                    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

thanks - I know that chart and eq, but not very precisely, now I know I need to step it up. The frequencies are not discretionary, they are science especially with exponential frequencies, but the dbs levels are adjusted depending on what your ears tell ya. Another piece of the puzzle...thanks again.

Comment

cool! - dig the vox a lot, and the gits (reminds me of old kyuss a lot).

rawk!

I don't hear any odd fequencies or levels needing adjustments. I do sometimes run voxengo's curve EQ and compare to a similar "real" CD of a band, then use voxengo's overtone to make it match up (since the cuve EQ demo matches pretty well, but inserts silence spots; you can still use it to write down what it generates and use another EQ to match). I just realized some tunes I did recently were really lacking overall bass frequencies. Probably common knowledge, but ya never know. I think you could do an EQ match with a Kyuss album and get pretty close to their overall EQ. Doesn't need it, just an idear.
                        Last edited by DankStar; 03-05-2009, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks Dankstar, Im glad you dig the vox and gits and EQ, Im trying to channel the power of greyskull in my musicz Kyuss is a fav band of mine - I listen to my Kyuss cds alot, and I used to work out in the desert in Riverside County where Kyuss is originally from. Im getting better at EQ adjustments. Voxengo is cool stuff, Ill look into it, thanks for the tip, good idear.

Comment

It might be the Vampire wine that I'm drinking right now but I dug that. Kind of had a spooky Queens of the Stone Age thing working.

Comment

Hmm. Your vocals are cool - sounds a lot like the band Witchcraft. A lot. Very good indeed!

However, I dunno, overall it sounds a bit dissonant to me. Like the backing harmonies are out of tune or something, and the little melody guitar parts also sound a bit odd, I'm not really sure why.

The lead guitar sounds like it's under water.

It was really cool, but I think you need to turn up the rythm guitars and take the reverb or delay or whatever off the lead guitar.

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

Working...
                              X