banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my new original metal/hardrock song - tool/AIC influenced (EMG81/85 & DFH content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my new original metal/hardrock song - tool/AIC influenced (EMG81/85 & DFH content)

I wrote and recorded a new song called "detachable conscience":

This is for my original solo project. All bass / guitar / singing / mixing / producing / etc. was done by me. Comments and constructive criticism on the mix/musicianship are appreciated.
    Last edited by everdrone; 03-18-2009, 05:59 PM.

Re: my new original metal/hardrock song - tool/AIC influenced (EMG81/85 & DFH content

music sounds good mate, although i dont see he tool influence much... you could also do with some vocal training i think hit thos notes hard. apart from that its looking good.
    I had a friend once he took some acid
    Now he thinks he's a fire engine
    It's okay until he pisses on your lighter
    Kinda smells kinda cool kinda funny anyway

Comment

Re: my new original metal/hardrock song - tool/AIC influenced (EMG81/85 & DFH content

heh I see you have maynard hidden lyrics in your sig. Thanks for the insights. I kinda wish I could edit the title of the thread now, I agree with you on the tool bit. Vox could use some work for sure. Thanks again for the comment and taking the time to listen to my tune

Comment

no worries, im massive tool fan
        I had a friend once he took some acid
        Now he thinks he's a fire engine
        It's okay until he pisses on your lighter
        Kinda smells kinda cool kinda funny anyway

Comment

Originally posted by spule85 View Post
          no worries, im massive tool fan
          tool, led zep, black sabbath, and NIn are my 4 fav bands; they can do no wrong.

Tool is frickin awesome, Maynard is prolly my fav singer. Thats a cool sig! I like his hidden track about vegetarianism and "the cries of the carrots" "dam the rabbits wear glasses" too teeheehee

I just figured out how to send the microphone signal into my headphones at audible so I can hear vox when Im recording; doing this is good, cause it means I can hear what I am singing when I am singing it, like the way it is at band practice with monitors for me. I still need singing lessons! I just dont have the money or time for em in the near foreseeable future and my goal is to be a bassist and backup singer so that is the purpose of these demos along with their entertainment value for me.

the downside is that it means Im diming the compression in order to hear it...I really need a headphone amp but I cant afford nothin at this point... I did a one take wonder and reposted the song; to see if there is any improvement, if you get the chance let me know if you hear any positive changes.

Comment

It's a very cool song, reminds me of Alice in Chains era grunge.
            The production isn't doing the song justice. What are you using for drums? And in general?
            Pulse 2AM - YouTube
            Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

sounds groovin' to me; I'm trying to figure out what's strange about some of the cymbals; maybe some are not panned hard enough L or R? not sure; some seem to come at you from all directions. no biggie though.

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
                It's a very cool song, reminds me of Alice in Chains era grunge.
                The production isn't doing the song justice. What are you using for drums? And in general?
                Many thanks! innerdreamrecords.co - your mixes are outstanding, very professional. You must know your way around eqs, compressors and limiters very well. I uploaded 17 images of my settings for my mix here:

My equipment: Epiphone Limited Edition G-400 Electric Guitar with stock EMG81/85s, Rogue LX200B Series II Bass Guitar, ToneportGX, unmodified Ezdrummer/drumkit from hell, Reaper. Vocals: $7 Starpower SP-4C Nady mic, Voxango Voxformer. I mix using super cheap headphones and M-Audio Studiopro3 3.5 inch speaker monitors. I have experimented with free plugins for other mixes, but for this song I only use the reaper plugins.

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                sounds groovin' to me; I'm trying to figure out what's strange about some of the cymbals; maybe some are not panned hard enough L or R? not sure; some seem to come at you from all directions. no biggie though.
                Thanks much DankStar! I selected ezdrummer/dfh tracks so that every 3 seconds or so the next drumloop will pan center, right or left for the cymbols. Drumfills pan automatically in ezdrummer. I just started using ezdrummer over the last month; do you think I should stop doing so much panning? Im not sure why but they dont seem to pan all the way to the left for some reason. I checked my settings but I cant figure out if there is any issues that need to be corrected.

Comment

hmm, I dunno, I just use whatever stock panning ezd has. The only things I really touch from ezd's stock settings are the bass drum level (turning it up a tad), and changing the beater to plastic.

Comment

A couple of observations on the mix. I'll start with the drums and bass then come back later for the other parts.

Bass drum, move your 35Hz cut up to 40hz, Bass guitar up to 50Hz, move the low cut on the guitars up to 120hz. I would start with a good drum mix and have all the parts together equal about -6 dbs on your master output. This gives you a loud drum mix and enough head room to fit the rest of the parts in. If I were you I would zero out the faders and start there, then add your other parts one by one.

I know a few things. I have produced for a couple of major labels.

PS,

As far as panning drums goes the more dense the mix the less panning should happen, the more sparse the mix the more panning.
                    Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 03-20-2009, 05:58 PM.
                    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Nice. I added myself as a friend on there too.

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

Not hearing much Tool here, but I definitely sense the Alice in Chains thing going on, along with tinges of Iron Maiden. Cool stuff!

EDIT: Just listened to it again. With the right production, this will be a KILLER tune man.

- Keith
                        Last edited by Pink Unicorn Horsey; 03-21-2009, 07:23 AM.
                        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                        I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                          hmm, I dunno, I just use whatever stock panning ezd has. The only things I really touch from ezd's stock settings are the bass drum level (turning it up a tad), and changing the beater to plastic.
                          way cool man. Im starting to listen to songs more critically. I just noticed that Drumkit from Hell has most drumloops panned right and left

while ezdrummer does not. Not sure what a plastic beater is but Ill look into it.

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
                          A couple of observations on the mix. I'll start with the drums and bass then come back later for the other parts.

Bass drum, move your 35Hz cut up to 40hz, Bass guitar up to 50Hz, move the low cut on the guitars up to 120hz. I would start with a good drum mix and have all the parts together equal about -6 dbs on your master output. This gives you a loud drum mix and enough head room to fit the rest of the parts in. If I were you I would zero out the faders and start there, then add your other parts one by one.

I know a few things. I have produced for a couple of major labels.

PS,

As far as panning drums goes the more dense the mix the less panning should happen, the more sparse the mix the more panning.
                          ok, that makes sense, I was wondering about your background for production, cause your mixes and advice are always stellar. I tried these tips you mentioned, I hope to improve as time goes on. I tried less panning for cymbols. It seems that for hard rock all instruments are competing for the same frequencies so I subtractive eqed everything for -8db cause Im still training my ears; and used the frequencies you recommend bassDRUMS 40 320 singing: 80-650 bass 50-375 guitars 120-1000 snare: low cut 120 ...I uploaded images for my new mix:

I think it sounds a little? better now, thanks

Originally posted by Diocletian View Post
                          Nice. I added myself as a friend on there too.
                          right on bro, recording stuff is pretty fun for sure

Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey View Post
                          Not hearing much Tool here, but I definitely sense the Alice in Chains thing going on, along with tinges of Iron Maiden. Cool stuff!

EDIT: Just listened to it again. With the right production, this will be a KILLER tune man.

- Keith
                          Thanks much Keith. Im looking forward to hearing about your Tool cover band, thats an awesome mesa single recto you have. Im getting the basics down for production for now; thanks for the encouragement

Comment

Do you dig High On Fire? The guitar sound is very similar. I like it.

HIGH ON FIRE - "Rumors of War" Official Music Video from the album 'Death Is This Communion'SUBSCRIBE to RELAPSE: http://bit.ly/RelapseYouTubeOrder at Relaps...
                            my soundclick page

Comment

For the vocals put a low cut filter on at 120hz up to 150hz for male vocals and it can be higher for female vocals. Then if you need to cut out other frequencies listen for harshness by boosting the eq way up and sweeping through the frequencies until you identify the bad sound - this is a good technique for any instrument. Other than that on vocals I tend to put a 1.5 db boost at about 2200khz, 7400khz and 11,000 khz as a default range, then adjust to taste.

Be careful when you're making drastic cuts in the middle of the instruments harmonic frequency range you can suck the life out of the sound.
                              Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 03-22-2009, 04:32 PM.
                              Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                              Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Working...
                              X