Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started on blues just (2 videos)

heres the (new) video
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

i learned few licks and try to vary them, blues is hard to me because of the full step bends, any tips on technique?

the bends are not in tune mostly i think

the wrist should be stiff right? and turning the string with lever like motion is correct right?

also id like any tips there is for learning thanks
    Last edited by tumbler; 04-05-2009, 01:42 PM.

Re: Started on blues just (2 videos)

Practice, practice, practice.

Try picking a note, bending it up a full step, holding it, picking it again and releasing it. Pick bend hold, pick release hold. Do this all the way up and down the neck on each string, giving extra attention to those strings and frets where you do the most bending. By doing this, you'll build up your muscle memory and coordination, and eventually it will become second nature. It may take a while, but as with all exercises, persistence pays big dividends.

Good luck, and keep twangin'!

- Keith
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey View Post
      Practice, practice, practice.

Try picking a note, bending it up a full step, holding it, picking it again and releasing it. Pick bend hold, pick release hold. Do this all the way up and down the neck on each string, giving extra attention to those strings and frets where you do the most bending. By doing this, you'll build up your muscle memory and coordination, and eventually it will become second nature. It may take a while, but as with all exercises, persistence pays big dividends.

Good luck, and keep twangin'!

- Keith
      yes my fingers are pretty hurt by doing this, were the clips any good or just awful

Comment

Originally posted by tumbler View Post
        yes my fingers are pretty hurt by doing this, were the clips any good or just awful
        What's "good" or "awful"? You sound like every other guitarist ever did when they started out. Nobody picks up the guitar for the first time and starts playing like Hendrix on Electric Ladyland—not even Hendrix. The idea is to make sure you're constantly honing your skills. You're going about it the right way by asking for advice.

Right now, the majority of your bent notes land out of tune, either sharp or flat. That's normal when you're first working on this stuff. If your fingers are hurting, you should take a rest. If you play too far through the hurt, you'll do more damage than good. Strike a balance by working on it to a reasonable level of muscle ache, then take a break for an hour or even a day.

As for the pitch, try playing the note you want to bend, then the note you want to bend it up to (e.g., play the note on the 7th fret of the B string, then the note on the 9th fret of the B string). Now keep in your head the pitch of that second note. Go back to the first, and bend to that pitch, then release. Do this slowly and evenly through the bend and release.

- Keith
        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
        I am just jug the merlot

Comment

ok thanks, much appreciated!

Comment

Off to a great start, man. Certainly follow Keiths advice. Also, when you learn a lick, become familiar with it and then try and put your own spin on it in time. You're doing great with allowing for time in between licks as well, that makes a huge difference I think in feel. Some people try to play constantly throughout a song and never let a rest add to the feel of a solo, B.B. King is genius with this concept and you reminded me of him a little bit.
            Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
            Ibanez RG1570 Custom
            PRS McCarty STD
            '71 Gibson SG Custom
            Bogner Alchemist 2x12
            Vox AD15VT

Comment

nvm that :P
              Last edited by tumbler; 04-04-2009, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Neither of those links work.

"This video has been removed by the user".

My tip to you would be, if you find it physically hard to bend the strings, try a lighter gauge.
                009's are ideal.

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

Originally posted by Diocletian View Post
                  Neither of those links work.

"This video has been removed by the user".

My tip to you would be, if you find it physically hard to bend the strings, try a lighter gauge.
                  009's are ideal.
                  i made just another
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Okay, you have a nice foundation as that's a fairly nice tone you've got there.
                    What you played is nice enough - although something doesn't sound quite right. I don't think the guitar is tuned properly there.

Overall though, I liked it, you're doing a nice job there.

Comment

the guitar is in tune, i cant find bluesy sound out of the amp though its cube 30-x also i use neck pickup

Comment

You're getting a decent bluesy sound, try adding a bit more reverb.
                        If the guitar's in tune, I have a feeling your bends are off.

Comment

heres in another position

this i made hastily its worse i think

Comment

You're playing the right notes which is good. Your timing is off, but that will come with practice.
                            You're doing good though.

Comment

Originally posted by Diocletian View Post
                              You're playing the right notes which is good. Your timing is off, but that will come with practice.
                              You're doing good though.
                              im glad that i bought decent guitar in start (gibson sg faded) i instantly modded it with installing gibson pickup covers to cut higher sounds, i think it sounds great

Comment

Working...
                              X