Music Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Theory

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, sorry if it isn't.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows any good music theory books out on the market right now. My level of musical knowledge is high school band, so I don't need anything very basic.

If I had time to get a teacher I'd do it but the rest of this year is going to be a busy one (Suprise! Another deployment!) so a book is probably the most helpful thing I could get. My guitar playing has reached a stopping block, and I feel like I can't move forward until I learn more about what's behind the music and learn the "why" instead of the "how".

So to cut to the chase, I'm lost when it comes to deciding which one(s) to buy. There's a lot out there that look good, but I don't judge a book by its cover. If anyone has had any experience, good or bad, with any books I'd really appreciate it if you'd let me in on the loop

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    Don't apologize for yankees. Yall were just born that way.
    Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic
    What a coincidence! I have Himmler tattoo'd on my left ass cheek and Goering tattoo'd on my right! When I get bored, I stick my wang through my legs and spread my cheeks and it looks like they are saluting Musolinni.

Re: Music Theory

I found this one pretty useful for the building-blocks type stuff. I wasn't part of band in high school, so I'm not sure what your level of knowledge is, lol. Basically, it covers things like chord and scale construction, modes, time signatures, key signatures, chord types, inversions, cadences, etc etc.

It doesn't get very much into the practical application of the theory, so to my mind it's more of a "what" book than a "why" book, if that makes sense. But if what I described is the sort of thing you need, and isn't too basic for you, then that book has the best, most concise and easiest to understand explanation of those concepts that I've come across.

Comment

This should give you all you need. The second link I believe is a free download also. Its a great book and should guide you through all your basic questions about theory

Enjoy and good luck!
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Hey.

My site probably focuses more on the "How" not the "Why", so I believe, it may be not what you're looking for. But maybe you can still take something away from it. I wrote all the content - and it's definitely not complete material or proper formal school material or anything like that. But It's all from my personal experience, and it works for me this way.

my theory site: (it's for guitar specifically)
        my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
        A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

When most ppl talk about music theory they usually are referring to Classical theory that dates back to Bach and even before. This is what Colleges and Universities teach as part of the standard curriculum.

Well if your goal is to write a Toccata and Fugue then this is what you need. However if you plan to play any of the modern styles then you need an up-to-date musical theory. To my knowledge no one has really come up with one. For the most part there are a lot of people who have learned traditional music theory and have gone on to develop their own personal approach. But there doesn't exist a modern "Grand Unified Musical Theory".

The most important thing that traditional music theory has to offer is a set of rules for harmony. You learn from it the basic building block of harmony but you have to go further on your own. Because in classic theory you build chords like MAJ, MIN, Augmented, diminished triads and dominant 7th chords and perhaps sus4 chords. But in traditional music theory there is no such thing as Min7, Maj7, Min7b5, Maj 7b5, 9th, 11th, 13th chords and so on!

The latter chord types are the harmonic building blocks for modern harmonies and melodies which are commonly found in today's modern idioms.
          Last edited by Osensei; 04-23-2009, 04:59 PM.
          These horse pills really take the edge off! Take 4 of em and that yellow gateway over there opens for da wolfman! -- Carl, ATHF

Comment

Working...
          X