Heil PR-30 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heil PR-30 Question

I have heard some hype on this mic. My question is where do you usually set it? Directly inline with the middle of the speaker? Angled at 45 degrees? A few inches outside the cone and angled inward? Please help, i don't seem to be getting anything good out of this mic.

Re: Heil PR-30 Question

i never put anything right in the middle of the speaker, usually closer to the edge, sometimes angled.

ive never used that mic but i really want one. from what i understand it is a very uncolored mic, the problem with that is you get to hear what is coming out of your amp for better or worse

Comment

Yea i got one recently and i have only been in the studio with it once but i seem to be having trouble with it i guess, or maybe it was a bad buy i donno

Comment

If you want it to sound like an SM57 or E609 (with their big upper-mid boost) it's not going to. If you're looking for a flat, honest mic that gives you the true sound coming off the speaker, the PR30 will do that well.

Both have their place, but you need to apply the right one to get the sound you want.
        Last edited by Rich_S; 06-17-2009, 10:25 AM.
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

if you do end up getting rid of it let me know but i would play around with it a bunch more before you get rid of it

Comment

Yea i will play around with it more, i was just hoping people might know the best position for a mic like that

Comment

From using it in the studio and live, and talking to WahWah, who recommended the mic to me in the first place, I just place it tight on the grill, straight on and half-way from the cone centre to the edge.
              Sounds very like the source sounds, so in your case, maybe it's the recording software or compression or something that is screwing with your end result?
              👣
              👣
              💀

Comment

I would do 70% from the center to the surround, 30 degrees off axis aimed at the cone, away from the dust cap.
                my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Best thing to do with *any* mic is get a set of full coverage headphones on your head while playing through your amp. Monitor while you or someone else changes the angle and distance on the mic - while you're playing. I use a PR 30 pretty much exclusively at this point for mic'ing cabs but always set it up the way I described above until my ears are happy... And that can change from week to week as I want to hear more or less of something. Along with the fact that humidity and temperature also play a role in the way a speaker sounds, a single "one angle / one distance" approach is ok to get close but you still need to tweak it every time if you are really interested in squeezing all the nuances out of your tone...

The PR 30 is a great mic so don't give up on it.
                  GEAR:
                  Guitars, amps, recording gear

Bandmix page

Comment

I think i'm slowly startin to figure er out. I've had some luck with puttin it a couple inches off to the side of the cone and parrallel witht the grill and an inch or two away. thanks for the help.

Comment

Alright I got a sample clip of the sound I got using the PR-30 for anyone who has suggestions or is thinking about buying one. Its a track on my Myspace called "Hard Funkin' Live" . Check it out and tell me what you think, I used PR-30s on the Lead and Rhythem Guitars. Thanks! www.myspace.com/bluematter88
                      Last edited by KingMixer; 07-24-2009, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X