Recording a live performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording a live performance

Hey all. I'm wanting to record an acoustic performance this Friday. There will be two acoustic guitars, two vocal mics, and a PA. Just a rough demo, estimate of what we sound like will suffice.

I have a laptop mic, which would be fine. I've been wanting to pick up an SM-57 for amp micing and recording; would this be a good mic to record the performance? Are there other mics around the same price range I should consider?
    Last edited by alex1fly; 06-23-2009, 06:08 PM.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Re: Recording a live performance

a 57 is a great mic for alot of things but not really for capturing a live performance. you really want some sort of condenser if you are trying to pick up the whole room.

Comment

Are your acoustics going through the PA with the vocals? if you have both guitars and both vocals going through the PA, why don't you take a sub mix directly off the board?
      It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
      - David St.Hubbins

Comment

The acoustics will be going through the PA along with the vocals. Razor, do you mean using the mixer's line out? I have a USB interface with a single input, if that helps me any.

Too bad about the SM 57 not working well. A friend of mine is buying me an SM 57 for a recording project we're doing... maybe I'll get him to buy a second mic
        Last edited by alex1fly; 06-25-2009, 12:43 PM.
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face

Comment

What type of PA? If it's powered, the line out may bypass the amp. If it has either a monitor out or a tape out, I'd use that, and take it into the line in on your laptop.
          You could even use an effect send as a sub mix to your recorder.
          - David St.Hubbins

Comment

My mixer has a recording out in the form of RCA cables. I use this to go into the 1/8" input of my computer. If you set the pa up right then you should get a pretty good sound out of it.

I would also recommend a Shure PG-81 as a good/cheap condenser mic for such things
            - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
            Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
            Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
            I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake OvenŽ of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

I don't know anything about the PA; it's a house PA in a pub. I've also never really messed with PA gear, so I don't have much idea of what I'm doing.

I have the SM 57 now.

Comment

Just ask the sound guy to hook you up. I'm sure he'll be able to take care of you. Pretty standard request.
                - David St.Hubbins

Comment

Well, the sound guy ended up not being a sound guy, but I got it set up well enough. Running from the mixer's Line Out into my Toneport, and got a good mix. Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                    Well, the sound guy ended up not being a sound guy
                    I hate it when that happens.

Glad you made it work anyway...You gonna post a sample?
                    - David St.Hubbins

Comment

Working...
                    X