banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good, simple blues progression on which to solo in Epenta Major?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good, simple blues progression on which to solo in Epenta Major?

I'm stuck in a Minor rut... I just can't use any of the major modes or even the major pentatonic (except sometimes with a slide...)

What's an easy Bluesy progression I can practice on acoustically in order to get me a feel for the major side of things..?

Thanks!

Re: Good, simple blues progression on which to solo in Epenta Major?

This would be a good place to start. I-IV-V in the key of E.
    Originally posted by tone4days
    we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

I have this album, it's basically my guitar bible Problem is, for me a Blues in E with that chord progression always ends up in minor scales. I just can't find melodies using major notes. Sometimes I'd mix licks from either scales but it only happens when I'm particularly inspired. I play tens of I IV V progressions a day in different keys and it's still always minor

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
        I have this album, it's basically my guitar bible Problem is, for me a Blues in E with that chord progression always ends up in minor scales. I just can't find melodies using major notes. Sometimes I'd mix licks from either scales but it only happens when I'm particularly inspired. I play tens of I IV V progressions a day in different keys and it's still always minor
        It isn't the progression that is hindering you....major pentatonics can be played all over the I-IV-V....I think maybe you have a lack of confidence using the more "happy" sounding major pentatonic.

The major pentatonic (to me at least) always seems to lead to the more melodic side of the blues or rock for that matter...the minor P scale is more mean and doesn't necessarily lead to melodic excursions.....sometimes it leads to very emotive type playing...the sad, crying type vibrato and bends that most of us know and love.

If you want to improve the major P style of playing, I would suggest some country music and stuff like The Marshall tucker Band...they use the major sounding stuff with wonderful results.

Comment

Cool thanks! And yeah what you're saying makes a lot of sense actually. One of my favorites backing track I use on accoustic is actually a Blues in G (G C D) but played with a Mpenta and some chicken picking it's just not bluesy anymore... somehow I totally forgot that I did use the scale will work on it in a more bluesy context

Comment

Pierre, I usually bounce back and forth between minor, relative minor, and major scales within the same song! You have to watch it though, it can easily get away from you.

Comment

What's a relative minor...? Is it related to how for instance the C major scale is also Am?

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                What's a relative minor...? Is it related to how for instance the C major scale is also Am?
                You are correct, sir.

Comment

the major and minor pentatonic scales are the same, they just have different "start" positions. ill bet you have a few minor P phrases you tend to start a solo with. try to adapt those phrases to starting in the major position instead of the minor.

i hope that made some sort of sense, lol
                  Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                  yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

Working...
                  X