Looking for (free?) MIDI software.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for (free?) MIDI software.

My kid just decided to start messing around with keyboards, but is more interested in writing/creating music than learning to play the instrument (I'm working on getting that particular horse/cart combination turned around the right way).

She has the Yamaha software for playing downloaded music, but she wants to go the other way - capture music played on the keyboard, maybe edit it and add to it on the computer, print it maybe?

What is it we're looking for? Is there such a thing as a MIDI recorder? Or is this what you call MIDI sequencer software? I don't know anything about MIDI - ask me about tube amps or overdrive pedal mods.

Any suggestions/guidance? What to look for, specific products or shareware you like? We're a Windows shop for the time being.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: Looking for (free?) MIDI software.

Computer Music magazine gives away a suite of software every issue, it's all you need to make music. She needs a midi keyboard, midi cable and a midi sequencer software that records/plays back. Keep in mind midi is just data to tell another thing to make something happen, In other words in a midi sequencer with midi notes playing it needs to trigger sounds either from a hardware instrument or a software instrument.
    Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 07-18-2009, 03:33 PM.
    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

She has a Yamaha keyboard with MIDI in/out - so it works as both MIDI controller and as the sound generator. We have a USB MIDI cable that's working in both directions - now she just needs the software to grab the incoming MIDI notes and do something with them.
      Last edited by Rich_S; 07-18-2009, 05:14 PM.
      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
      Rich Stevens

Comment

A midi sequencer that records should do that. There should be some free ones on the web.
        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
          a midi sequencer that records should do that. There should be some free ones on the web.
          +1

anvil
          jazz
          reaper
          Last edited by tone4days; 07-18-2009, 09:30 PM.
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Gah! As soon as you hit one target, the kid moves the goalposts. (Sorry about the mixed metaphors, it's early and I can't think of anything better.) Kid #1 came to me last night and said she had downloaded one of the sequencers mentioned above. Then she went on, "Now how do we get a microphone hooked up so we can record?" Her heart's in a great place - her little sister (8) and a couple of the neighbor kids have been starting a "band", so Maddy wants to help them record their parts.

I was on my way somewhere and so explained only briefly about crappy PC soundcards, and the next-best alternative, USB microphones. Then it hit me - she'd been wanting a MIDI sequencer, and had now switched to a full-on PC recording program.

So, do any of those handle basic recording chores? If not, who can recommend a freebie recording software (preferably incorporating MIDI as well)? I hate to appear cheap, but experience says this will pass in a few weeks, and we'll all be on to something else.
            Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
            Rich Stevens

Comment

Look at Quartz, has midi and audio.
              Pulse 2AM - YouTube
              Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

FL Studio (formerly known as Fruity Loops, but revamped their image as their software became more full featured) has MIDI I/O as well as sequencing and recording from all sources.

You can download the trial version of it at their website.

You can use the full functionality of the program, including exporting wavs and mp3s, but you can't save a project. That may help, it may, not, it's another option.
                my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Working...
                X