Removing noise from line-level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing noise from line-level

I bought a new pair of powered monitors tonight and I'm getting some kind of electrical interference that I after some trial and error have determined is in the line-level cable between my guitar port and the computer. What are the most common sources of interference with computers? My first assumption was wireless ethernet, but after disabling the ethernet card the noise remained. Could a bluetooth receiver be the culprit? Some of the interference also sounds a little like hard drive seek/write. Is it common for internal PC components to create electrical interference in a line level cable?

I used to use a receiver with passive speakers and never had this issue. The only difference between set ups was between the guitar port and speakers, and I know the issue is not there. Any ideas?
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Re: Removing noise from line-level

maybe the computer monitor - that's a common one.

Comment

Even a flat panel?

I'm beginning to wonder if the fact that the computer has integrated audio and the stereo analog jack comes off the motherboard is an issue? Then again, plenty of folks use laptops with monitors and do not get this kind of noise. I know I'm probably not asking all the right questions.
      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Have you moved further away from the computer with your axe? Can you run usb cable from the guitar port? Moved the speakers? I'd try those things first.
        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Are you using your computer as the volume control?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
            Even a flat panel?

I'm beginning to wonder if the fact that the computer has integrated audio and the stereo analog jack comes off the motherboard is an issue? Then again, plenty of folks use laptops with monitors and do not get this kind of noise. I know I'm probably not asking all the right questions.
            Yes... that could very much be the issue.

Having the converters actually inside the computer generates a lot of line noise... typically high-frequency buzz & rattles. It can also come from spinning hard-drives and all other sorts of computer hardware. Having a great power supply, UPS & conditioning can go a long ways in removing that junk.

Not sure what a "guitar port" is though... are you sure that isn't the problem?
            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
            mixer|producer|recordist
            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

I would guess that you have the volume pretty low coming out of the computer. If you have a preamp of some sort that you can use between the speakers and the computer so you can max the volume coming out of the computer and then turn it to the level desired with the preamp, then you should be able to minimize the noise that comes from hardware. This is because the volume control in the computer does not decrease the amount of noise, but simply the amount of the signal you want to hear, so anything other than max volume from the computer will decrease the signal to noise ratio.

You should be able to test this by maxing out your computer volume and turning your speakers down to a manageable volume and seeing if the noise persists. This obviously isn't a solution, because you need to have a convenient volume control for everyday use, but it may keep you from digging around with a preamp if my advice turns out to be wrong.

If this is not the problem, then I do not have a clue. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
                Yes... that could very much be the issue.

Having the converters actually inside the computer generates a lot of line noise... typically high-frequency buzz & rattles. It can also come from spinning hard-drives and all other sorts of computer hardware. Having a great power supply, UPS & conditioning can go a long ways in removing that junk.

Not sure what a "guitar port" is though... are you sure that isn't the problem?
                Guitar port is the line 6 USB interface, and I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue. When recording the Line6 software transfers data via USB. I can listen to recordings without noise, as the software transmits its audio to the interface via USB, which is in turn transfered to the monitors. This much is noise free.

The noise is between the computer's analog audio and the guitar port. Essentially I cannot use the monitors to play any of the signal carried via analog cable. I did not have this issue when using a receiver and passive speakers. All I changed was removed an audio receiver and passive speakers and replaced them with powered monitors.

Assuming the issue is related to the motherboard's integrated audio, what would be my best options? Discrete sound card? New interface? Basically, I need to be able to use the monitors for more than when the Line6 software is on.

Comment

Are you sure it's not grounding for the monitors? Any Fluorescent lights in the room?

If it's the computer probably a discreet sound card.
                  Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                  Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Buss Noise. I had to change Mother Boards because the ASUS board I was using was Too Noisy!
                    Especially noticeable using External Audio Amps for Monitoring.
                    I use an Audigy2 Zs pro for the Audio outs.It just shows in the monitoring;Not recordings.
                    Last edited by GoldenVulture; 08-22-2009, 11:11 PM.
                    sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

I still do not see that my scenario has been disproved. Are you using the studio monitors maxed and are you maximizing the volume that is coming from your computer (via the control panel or equivalent)?

Also, does this occur when you are listening to music?
                      Last edited by firebirdV; 08-22-2009, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by firebirdV View Post
                        I still do not see that my scenario has been disproved. Are you using the studio monitors maxed and are you maximizing the volume that is coming from your computer (via the control panel or equivalent)?

Also, does this occur when you are listening to music?
                        Computer volume has nothing to do with it. The noise is consistent regardless of input volume. It's there no matter what the audio source.

J Moose, no florescent lights in the room. In trying to find the source of the noise I even started unplugging electrical devices one by one. The noise disappeared only when I removed the analog connection between the computer and the USB interface.

I'm going to try moving some things around later and see if there's any improvement. I'm still perplexed as to why I did not here the noise with the old receiver and passive speakers.
                        Last edited by MikeS; 08-23-2009, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Sorry to waste your time, fellas... I am apparently an idiot. This was as simple as disabling the on-board audio drivers and setting the default audio drivers to those supplied with the Line6 software.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                            Sorry to waste your time, fellas... I am apparently an idiot. This was as simple as disabling the on-board audio drivers and setting the default audio drivers to those supplied with the Line6 software.
                            My hourly rate is...
                            Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                            Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

At least it was a free solution.

Comment

Working...
                              X