Logic Studio 9 vs. Logic Express 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logic Studio 9 vs. Logic Express 9

I've really loved Logic the few times I've played with it, and I'd like to get it for my new iMac. I'm just trying to figure out if I really need Logic Studio, or if Logic Express will work just fine for a lot less money.

From what I've read on Apple's site and on other forums, here's what I'd be missing if I didn't get Pro:

- Space Designer Reverb and Delay Designer (Express has delays and reverbs though, just not these exact ones)
    - a much bigger sample library (I never use samples, so I don't care about this)
    - MainStage 2 for live performance (never going to use this)
    - Soundtrack Pro 3 for tracking over video (probably never going to use this, at least not in the foreseeable future)
    - a few post and mastering utilities (I would probably use these from time to time)
    - surround sound support (don't care)
    - some extra effects and instrument plug-ins

Aside from that, Express 9 is really, really good. There are no track or bus limits in this version, and it has all the editing tools found in Studio 9. Tons of plug-ins too.

I'm not interested in samples, video, mixing in surround, or using my computer in a live setting. It seems to me that I'd not be getting my money's worth with Studio. I might miss the mastering suite, but is that worth $300?

Can anyone think of a good reason I should get Studio instead of Express?
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Re: Logic Studio 9 vs. Logic Express 9

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
    I'm not interested in samples, video, mixing in surround, or using my computer in a live setting. It seems to me that I'd not be getting my money's worth with Studio. I might miss the mastering suite, but is that worth $300?
    If you decide to master and need to buy plugins, you'd probably pay more than $300 for mastering plugins. I've not used Logic since version 7, how good is the mastering suite?

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
      If you decide to master and need to buy plugins, you'd probably pay more than $300 for mastering plugins. I've not used Logic since version 7, how good is the mastering suite?
      No idea. I've only used Logic itself, and only for a short time.

Comment

If you record a lot + do band stuff on your computer then I would say to get Logic Studio. I'm sure there are more differences to validate the $300 difference....You never know when you will need the extras or if they will be missed.
        - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
        Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
        Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
        I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven® of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

I'm on Logic 5, I would consider Express a huge step up. I would probably get studio because you would probably never need anything else.
          Pulse 2AM - YouTube
          Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Space Designer is my favorite convo reverb and I absolutely love delay designer... if you're gonna stick with Logic, I'd go for studio.
            www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
              Space Designer is my favorite convo reverb and I absolutely love delay designer... if you're gonna stick with Logic, I'd go for studio.
              Werd. Space/delay designer are pretty much the coolest plug-ins ever.

Go for Studio man. Totally worth the dollar.
              "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

express has mastering capabilities, even has a mastering template to start with where it automatically loads up a limiter, compressor, and eq for ya. I wouldn't list that as a negative for express, it works fine.

the convo reverb would be cool, but the reverbs in express are very nice.

you forgot that studio has a matching eq, which, if you don't trust your ears, could prove useful. I kinda like to not use crutches, but if it was there, I'd surely use it from time to time.
                Last edited by DankStar; 10-29-2009, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
                  Originally posted by Rich_T View Post
                  Werd. Space/delay designer are pretty much the coolest plug-ins ever.

Go for Studio man. Totally worth the dollar.
                  Ok, so far this is the only real argument in favor of Studio: two extra plug-ins. Is that worth $300 to me? Probably not. I'm sure they're awesome effects, but I guess my question is: are the verbs and delays included in Express lousy? Will I be doing a mix and wishing I had a better reverb plug-in?

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                  express has mastering capabilities, even has a mastering template to start with where it automatically loads up a limiter, compressor, and eq for ya. I wouldn't list that as a negative for express, it works fine.

the convo reverb would be cool, but the reverbs in express are very nice.

you forgot that studio has a matching eq, which, if you don't trust your ears, could prove useful. I kinda like to not use crutches, but if it was there, I'd surely use it from time to time.
                  Good post. Thanks. Didn't know about the mastering template.

Matching EQ is something I'm trying to avoid actually. I want to get better at mixing, and if I'm relying on a plug-in to do the work for me I will never learn anything.

Comment

To be fair, I rely on Mainstage, Soundtrack Pro and the sample library for a lot of what I do, so it was totally worth the extra investment for me. Logic Express might do you just fine. But the Studio plugins really are fantastic. You would pay $300 for a lot of them standalone for Pro Tools or Cubase.
                    "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                      but I guess my question is: are the verbs and delays included in Express lousy? Will I be doing a mix and wishing I had a better reverb plug-in?
                      There aren't any truly "great" plug in reverbs... depending on your perspective. One thing that's entirely true regardless of that perspective though, is that ALL plug-in reverbs are processor intensive. Even one instance will eat a large amount of CPU power... that's a large part of the reason people use things like the UAD cards or even stick with old outboard boxes.

First "better" plug-ins you'll probably wish for are better EQ & compression...
                      J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                      mixer|producer|recordist
                      mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                      All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
                        There aren't any truly "great" plug in reverbs... depending on your perspective. One thing that's entirely true regardless of that perspective though, is that ALL plug-in reverbs are processor intensive. Even one instance will eat a large amount of CPU power... that's a large part of the reason people use things like the UAD cards or even stick with old outboard boxes.

I don't know how regarded it is by serious engineers (probably isn't) but I often grab voxengo's (free) overtone EQ - nice and simple, just bump up like 1 or 2 bands a hair for more high end, bass, or mids. not a whole lot of options, but nice results.
                        Last edited by DankStar; 10-29-2009, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose View Post

Good point, but keep in mind this is a brand new computer.

On my old box, which is an absolute snail of a machine, one instance of Lexicon Pantheon eats up about 25% of the CPU. Not sure how good of a comparison that is though.

Comment

I think a 3rd party reverb like the UAD cards have, which I "use" to own pre-recession would serve you better than the Logic reverbs. As far as convolution goes I could take them or leave them. I always found they sound best in combination with other reverb plugins. The Logic plugins I use the most are the delays, I use third party plugins for compression, eq, mastering etc.
                            Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                            Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Working...
                            X