How would you finger this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you finger this?

Getting this scrap of music clean is stumping me. I can't figure out how to finger it so all the notes can ring - especially the E on beat 4. The tempo is pretty quick; about 140 or so.

The sequence ends up on a D chord, but I didn't include the 4th measure because it's not giving me problems. Obviously, the pattern continues ad nauseum (a Latin musical term meaning "repeat and fade").

How would you finger it?

Bonus points if you can identify the song (early 80's).
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: How would you finger this?

just an open high e string, no?
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Yeah, I guess - that's really the only way to get the whole thing to ring from beginning to end. Avoiding damping the open string while fingering the rest of it then becomes the problem.
      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
      Rich Stevens

Comment

2nd, 3rd, and 4th finger grabbin the A chord and first finger grabbin the G in the 2nd measure? ... rotate the wrist back awa y from the neck some to get extra clearance and high arch on the fingers ...

i dont have a guitar with me so i cant try it ... but i'll try to remember to give it a go tonight

i can't 'hear' the song in my head so i cant guess the tune yet - i hope i can name that tune when i hear it

<edit - this is all wrong - see below>
        Last edited by tone4days; 11-06-2009, 10:12 AM.
        gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

A major in first position

Comment

i finally got around to trying this

i had to play it with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fingers on the chord and then grab the low G with the pinky in 2nd measure ... then the low F# requires a regrip - 1st finger on the F# and 2nd, 3rd, 4th on the chord

and i do not recognize the tune - probably 'cus i am a crummy player
            Last edited by tone4days; 11-06-2009, 10:13 AM.
            gear list in profile

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
              i finally got around to trying this

i had to play it with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fingers on the chord and then grab the low G with the pinky in 2nd measure ... then the low F3 requires a regrip - 1st finger on the F# and 2nd, 3rd, 4th on the chord

and i do not recognize the tune - probably 'cus i am a crummy player
              That's the way I'm trying it.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Yeah, that's one way I've tried it, but the re-grip is a beeotch to play smoothly - it kills the flow. The other way is to bar the 2-3-4 strings with the first finger. I'm double-jointed, so it's possible to let the open first string ring underneath my 1st finger, but it's a bit iffy as to whether I'll accidentally mute that E or not.

It's the outto to "Words" by Missing Persons. Warren Cuccurullo plays all sorts of weird stuff that leaves you wondering how he fingered it and/or how he tuned his guitar.

We'll be adding this and one or two other Missing Persons songs to the repertiore for next years class of 85 reunion gig.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

Comment

With gloves

This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                    Yeah, that's one way I've tried it, but the re-grip is a beeotch to play smoothly - it kills the flow. The other way is to bar the 2-3-4 strings with the first finger. I'm double-jointed, so it's possible to let the open first string ring underneath my 1st finger, but it's a bit iffy as to whether I'll accidentally mute that E or not.

It's the outto to "Words" by Missing Persons. Warren Cuccurullo plays all sorts of weird stuff that leaves you wondering how he fingered it and/or how he tuned his guitar.

We'll be adding this and one or two other Missing Persons songs to the repertiore for next years class of 85 reunion gig.
                    ah, i remember that one - very cool tune - he always had tasty parts in their tunes

let the keys player or the bassist grab the low note
                    gear list in profile

Comment

this just in - been messsing some more with this ... play the G with the pinky and the F# with the thumb ... no need to regrip the Amaj chord
                      gear list in profile

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
                        this just in - been messsing some more with this ... play the G with the pinky and the F# with the thumb ... no need to regrip the Amaj chord
                        Yes, that's one of a couple of options i went for. The other is to hold down the E, A and C# using the first and third fingers only (first finger covers the E and A), then the second or fourth finger hits the G bass note, and then the second finger or the thumb for the G# bass note.

(using two fingers to hold an open A chord shape is a common trick and makes it easier to get the open top E string to ring without getting muted)
                        Last edited by crusty philtrum; 11-09-2009, 08:13 AM.
                        Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Working...
                        X