Mac/cubase issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac/cubase issues

My little mac does seem to have problems dealing with Cubase AI4 and Peavey revalver.
    It's ok with just a couple of guitar tracks but once it gets to more than three it starts to have serious issues.

I suspect this is just down to processing power available (1.8Ghz, 2Gb memory) but I'm wondering if there is a way of making the whole less resource heavy without losing too much in the sound quality?
    It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Re: Mac/cubase issues

What exactly happens? I always bounce down my virtual instrument tracks to a aiff/.wav file and load that onto the arrange page (Logic). Trying to run a lot of instances of a resource heavy plugin will kill even big systems.
    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
      What exactly happens? I always bounce down my virtual instrument tracks to a aiff/.wav file and load that onto the arrange page (Logic). Trying to run a lot of instances of a resource heavy plugin will kill even big systems.
      It stops being to process Audio in real time, so the sound stops, jerks forwards and eventually gives up.
      And I'm hardly running a great many tracks, today's track is drums and keys (both sequenced) one live bass and five guitars. Ok, a tad over the top on the guitars and that is what's causing the problem.

Comment

How many instances of Revalver and VST instruments at once? Logic has a system resources meter and you can tell what the hang is, either hard drive performance or memory - RAM. Does Cubase have one of those?

You won't loose sound quality bouncing tracks down, at least none that you'll miss. This is digital audio and it's pretty forgiving.
        Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 11-05-2009, 11:28 AM.
        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

I'd think you'd be able to run that many tracks w/o a problem... just by example... my dedicated PC has 2gigs of RAM & a similar processor and I can run 40+ tracks at 96kHz with assorted plugins and haven't hit the wall once.

Likely its a buffering issue of sorts. And really, need a lot more information to get to the root of it.

Could be the hard drive choking on data... running slowly because of the following;

Not enough free space
          Hasn't been defragmented in a long long time.
          Drive speed to slow (5400 rpm isn't enough, go to 7200)
          Drive cache not big enough... 32meg is ideal
          Storing tracks on the system drive, not a dedicated drive

Poor file management can cause all sorts of issues too & will lock the processor... this usually becomes an issue if you have lots (dozens) of projects with little bits & pieces that weren't cleaned up... or all stored in the same folder.

Audio buffer not set at the right size... audio priority not set correctly...

Could also be any number of other things like video drivers & network settings that are fukking with Cubase. All networking/internet should be disabled on a DAW!!!

Hope that helps a bit.
          J. 'Moose' Kahrs
          mixer|producer|recordist
          mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
          All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

How many instances of Revalver and VST instruments at once? Logic has a system resources meter and you can tell what the hang is, either hard drive performance or memory - RAM. Does Cubase have one of those?

You won't loose sound quality bouncing tracks down, at least none that you'll miss. This is digital audio and it's pretty forgiving.
            I know I won't lose much in quality in the digital domain, but I also won't be able to tweak the sound as much, which sort of kills one of the benefits of using on board amp modelling.

What I really need is enough space to set an amp up in it's own little room permanently miked up, that would make my life much easier

Oh, and there are five instances of revalver plus two other VST instruments (drums and keys).

Comment

Oh, and there are five instances of revalver plus two other VST instruments (drums and keys).
              That's the problem. Just commit to a sound and move on. I always save a copy of the song as e.g. guitar mix, drum mix etc. so I can always revisit the sounds if I really want to change them. I'm a firm believer in making a commitment to a sound and moving on. Every decision you make in tracking affects the next decision so if you continue to change things it gets muddy, imo.
              Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 11-05-2009, 12:15 PM.
              Pulse 2AM - YouTube
              Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
                I'd think you'd be able to run that many tracks w/o a problem... just by example... my dedicated PC has 2gigs of RAM & a similar processor and I can run 40+ tracks at 96kHz with assorted plugins and haven't hit the wall once.

Likely its a buffering issue of sorts. And really, need a lot more information to get to the root of it.

Could be the hard drive choking on data... running slowly because of the following;

Not enough free space
                Hasn't been defragmented in a long long time.
                Drive speed to slow (5400 rpm isn't enough, go to 7200)
                Drive cache not big enough... 32meg is ideal
                Storing tracks on the system drive, not a dedicated drive

Poor file management can cause all sorts of issues too & will lock the processor... this usually becomes an issue if you have lots (dozens) of projects with little bits & pieces that weren't cleaned up... or all stored in the same folder.

Audio buffer not set at the right size... audio priority not set correctly...

Could also be any number of other things like video drivers & network settings that are fukking with Cubase. All networking/internet should be disabled on a DAW!!!

Hope that helps a bit.
                All useful, I've spend this afternoon cleaning up drive space and trying to find ways of making the old thing more efficient.
                I wonder if one of my problems is my Yamaha MW10 USB mixer thing that acts as my main I/O device.

Obviously, like everyone else, my hard drive is not big enough, although if I moved my itunes library to my external that would free up shed loads of space.

Comment

I wonder if one of my problems is my Yamaha MW10 USB mixer thing that acts as my main I/O device.
                  You don't have enough RAM to run that many plugins at once.
                  Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                  Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

You don't have enough RAM to run that many plugins at once.
                    Well I've had problems with tracking and sound quality before, so it's not just Revalver, that's just made it worse

And just how much RAM do you need to do this sort of thing?

Comment

8 GB's would be good, 4GB's might get there.
                      Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                      Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Eep, I see saving for new computer in my future.

Comment

Even if I had a machine that could run that many plugins at once I would still bounce down. I have found that plugins are not very stable over the long haul and you can loose settings, that is one of the reasons I always bounce down along with making a commitment.
                          Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                          Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

That's a bunch of BS right there.

Ideally, if you're doing fairly intensive audio production you'll have as much RAM as you can put in the machine... but to run a handful of tracks, like a dozen or so 1, or even 2 gigs of RAM is more then enough.

Case in point... i have an ancient PC 'legacy' system that basically only gets used for archiving & CD burning. Its a P4 with 512 RAM and that'll still run 24 tracks of audio at 44.1/24 bit with a few plug ins.

If you're hitting a wall its because the system & software isn't configured properly.

Ant ~ You need to be recording all the audio to a dedicated drive. Either internal or external Firewire/USB 2 with a sizeable cache & ideally, 7200 rpm.

That alone should clear a bunch of problems.

Partitions & such are bad. Recording to the system drive is bad.

Not defragmenting the drive is bad...
                            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                            mixer|producer|recordist
                            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                            All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

That's a bunch of BS right there.

Ideally, if you're doing fairly intensive audio production you'll have as much RAM as you can put in the machine... but to run a handful of tracks, like a dozen or so 1, or even 2 gigs of RAM is more then enough.
                              Apparently Mr. BS right there you haven't been reading the thread. He has 5 instances of Revalver running in real time plus two other VST's that are ram hogs.
                              Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                              Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Working...
                              X