X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Chasing with Line6 POD X3 Live

Hi Guys.

This is my first post in this part of the forum so be nice
    I am chasing this tone that I have in an EMG Alexi video and I am trying to replicate this sound using the X3 live. Link of the video is here.

I am using an alder body Jackson DK2M with all maple neck. I have 11s and they are tuned to C. The pickups in this guitar are JB8 in bridge and JAZZ4 in neck. When they are in series mode they sound crushing with a huge tight bottom end.

I don't know how close I can replicate the ENGL special edition with a X3 live but all the patches you could provide, the sources you can direct me to and the pointers you can give are highly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.
    "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Re: Tone Chasing with Line6 POD X3 Live

no one?
    "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Comment

In my experience EMG's sound nothing like the pickups you have. Get the Duncan active pickups?
      Pulse 2AM - YouTube
      Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
        In my experience EMG's sound nothing like the pickups you have. Get the Duncan active pickups?
        I am aware of this fact. Getting a guitar with BOs is on my list but not in the near future. Please also keep in mind that Alexi's EMGs are actually passives with an active boost circuitry.

Would you be able to recommend some sources for downloading some good X3 live patches for the pups that I have? I have tried the tone library and custom tone websites from line6 but nothing close so far.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't know of a good patch site.

I would pick an amp model that resembles the amp in the video, tube type etc. and mix and match cabinets and mics if applicable and try and dial it in myself.
          Pulse 2AM - YouTube
          Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
            Unfortunately I don't know of a good patch site.

I would pick an amp model that resembles the amp in the video, tube type etc. and mix and match cabinets and mics if applicable and try and dial it in myself.
            Actually I have tried and I have manged to get dome real good tones but nothing close to this one. Well, anyways.. This thread is here if someone else has an idea.

Comment

What you need to do is find patches from the amps that it emulates. Line 6 is really good about emulating how the amps react to EQ changes. Sometimes you have to balance the mids, presence, and bass settings to get workable tones. I'd start by finding the manuals for the amps themselves. You can also get patches here:

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by cakire82 View Post
                Actually I have tried and I have manged to get dome real good tones but nothing close to this one. Well, anyways.. This thread is here if someone else has an idea.
                Well then you're done. You have real good tones go with them. The only people who give a rats ass about guitar tones are other guitar players. Songs make successful bands not splitting hairs about guitar tones.
                Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                  What you need to do is find patches from the amps that it emulates. Line 6 is really good about emulating how the amps react to EQ changes. Sometimes you have to balance the mids, presence, and bass settings to get workable tones. I'd start by finding the manuals for the amps themselves. You can also get patches here:

http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settin...-settings.html
                  Thank you for the website. I will check it out first thing tonight. I don't think X3 live is emulating the ENGL special edition at this point. I will be the first one to try once they add it.

Comment

I would mix the Recto simulation with either a soldano or a Criminal (5150) to get it. The Spinal Puppet can be mixed with the recto too.
                    The tone is too "ENGL" , so it is hard to copy it.But you can come close!
                    www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

a little off topic but the thread nme is very hypocritical "tone chasing with line6 pod x3 live"

i wanted one for a while but plugged into my friends and no matter how convenient they are i would not use one for recording or live
                      guitarsoundtheory.webs.com
                      fender stratocaster-->modified crybaby-->
                      dyna comp-->modified ts9/808-->ernie ball
                      vp jr-->boss dd3-->boss rv5
                      crybaby vocal, midrange, and red fasel mods
                      ts9 808 conversion, and more less gain mod

Comment

Originally posted by joshuablevins View Post
                        a little off topic but the thread nme is very hypocritical "tone chasing with line6 pod x3 live"

i wanted one for a while but plugged into my friends and no matter how convenient they are i would not use one for recording or live
                        That's ok, lots of people use them just fine. Watch some of this guy's videos:

(He does all the guitar work himself, where there's a split screen showing multiple guitarists, it's him the whole time)

Here's his tone settings for the X3:

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

that acoustic part was crap

and his amps too distorted for recording greaat musician money gone to waste though
                          guitarsoundtheory.webs.com
                          fender stratocaster-->modified crybaby-->
                          dyna comp-->modified ts9/808-->ernie ball
                          vp jr-->boss dd3-->boss rv5
                          crybaby vocal, midrange, and red fasel mods
                          ts9 808 conversion, and more less gain mod

Comment

Working...
                          X