• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Feedback Question

Originally posted by Morior View Post
    Which model are you using on the VT50?
    Originally posted by B2D View Post
    First thing I'd do is back off the gain. If I'm feeding back in the way you're describing, where it's uncontrollable, it's probably too much gain and/or volume.

There's other things I do to control feedback though... cushioning foam underneath the pickups so the pickup doesn't rattle around is one of them. Lowering my pickup about a 16th of an inch can help.

'59bs aren't too hot as pickups go, so I'd say it's too much gain and in a hot spot (where feedback occurs especially easily).
    I'm using the UK 25th? I think that's supposed a modded jcm800.

what do you mean with the cushioning foam thing?

and I cant really lower my pickup..its mounted to the wood.(long story)
    88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
    Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
    Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
    Vox NightTrain 50.
    My Band

Comment

Originally posted by dmandude123455 View Post
      what do you mean with the cushioning foam thing?
      My guitar uses pickups mounted to the pickguard, and I play at pretty high volume levels at close proximity to the amp in rehearsal. Sometimes this causes the pickups to sypathetically vibrate in their mountings just from the sound levels, and this gets picked up and set through the amps.

I take a little bit of cushioning foam like the kind found in equipment/mic/gun cases (you can also use a cheap sponge) and cut it up to form little foam blocks that sit under/around the pickups. This stops the pickups from rattling in their mounts and stops the feedback that results from that. It won't help if your pickups are actually microphonic, though.

Here's an example of a sponge you could use:

Comment

But that's not doing anything about string feedback. I'd also say that just using stronger springs should help in that case.

Assuming the OP is actually sure it's string feedback.

Comment

dude, why the hell are you using all the gain on your amp? ****! dial that **** down!

tone is in the fingers bro, not the gain knob!!

Comment

Agreed. Too much gain is a reality, and a tight band can be heavy without a ton of gain. Listen to You've Got Another Thing Coming. There's 2 rhythm guitars and a bass and the kick drum working together to lay down the heavy, but the guitars don't really have that much gain individually. It's all in the layers and how tightly everyone plays.

Even for the solos there's not a ton of gain, but what's used is very effective.
            Originally posted by Brown Note
            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
            My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
              Agreed. Too much gain is a reality, and a tight band can be heavy without a ton of gain. Listen to You've Got Another Thing Coming. There's 2 rhythm guitars and a bass and the kick drum working together to lay down the heavy, but the guitars don't really have that much gain individually. It's all in the layers and how tightly everyone plays.

Even for the solos there's not a ton of gain, but what's used is very effective.
              Thats one of my favorite songs

I dailed gain back to about a quater, sounds pretty nice. I may use a lower gain amp model, idk
              Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
              Vox NightTrain 50.
              My Band

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                But that's not doing anything about string feedback. I'd also say that just using stronger springs should help in that case.

Assuming the OP is actually sure it's string feedback.
                I know... that's purely a measure used to keep the pickups sitting still and keep them from contributing to uncontrollable wailing. I tried stronger springs once too... they were just a ***** to install, that's the only difference they made.

Comment

Good muting technique is also essential (not just to preventing feedback, but sounding good in general)

Comment

I cant really lower my pickup.its mounted to the wood.(long story)
                    THIS....Your whole guitar body is probably resonating with the pickup.
                    I'd find a way to put some damping between it and the body.

This would be a good start.

How is the pickup mounted?
                    sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Screwed in.

(story time)

when I wired up my pickup I noticed that the screws and springs that were on my other pickup were to small to use so I used the springs from my single coil and then screwed the pickup to the wood.

And the feedback is string feedback because when the amp feedsback I put my hand on strigns and it shuts up.
                      Vox NightTrain 50.
                      My Band

Comment

Working...
                      X