Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live sequencing with a synth...

Hi guys,

I've got a Yamaha W7 Synth that has a 16 track sequencer. I'm not a very good keyboard player, but I'm a really good programmer, lol. Keyboardists are impossible to find in my area and I'm about to form a group that wants to do a lot of Rush, and original music with synths. My question is...what is the best way to trigger a sequence for band practice and live performance? I've never done this and have no idea how to do it. Would the drummer have to wear headphones? I guess so, right? I guess we could pan the click track to one output and have the sequenced tracks panned right, or something like that?

As far as triggering, should I have maybe an eight count where I could hit start, or can those midi pedals trigger the synth to start? We can't afford a computer or anything like that, so it has to be done with hardware. Also, is it hard to get a whole band to play along with sequenced stuff? I have no problem with it, but this is a whole new realm for me.

Thanks everyone!
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Re: Live sequencing with a synth...

I don't know that synth and how many outputs it has but yes you need a click to the drummer. I would set up my full arrangements as songs and save them as such with a click intro like you said. Have the drummer count it down for the band, he'll need phones obviously.
    Also, is it hard to get a whole band to play along with sequenced stuff?
    Not for a good band.
    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
      I don't know that synth and how many outputs it has but yes you need a click to the drummer. I would set up my full arrangements as songs and save them as such with a click intro like you said. Have the drummer count it down for the band, he'll need phones obviously.

Not for a good band.
      It only has two outputs, like my Kawaii K-1, which I would use as a slave. My fear would be that the drummer would somehow get off count, even with a click, and suddenly HERE COMES THE MUSIC a half beat early or late, lol. How do bands like Rush do this stuff without a hitch?

700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

They probably have it on computers and a guy running the show. If they get off, start again. You'll probably want the drummer starting the sequence. I'm pretty sure he'll need to que each song too.

I set up music in Ableton Live for live playing. You said no computers though.
        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

You should be able to get a footswitch for the unit which will allow you to start a given sequence. Barring that, keep the synth nearby and reach over to hit Play, or get the drummer a MIDI pad set to trigger the start.

As for how RUSH do it - practice. Years and years of practice.

Computers/synths are mindless drones - if you tell it a song is 4/4 and 128BPM, it's going to hit everything spot-on. If you're not spot-on with it, you're SOL. Most modern units have a Quantize or Human Feel setting, but even that's a rough estimate based on various internal variables that are still adhered to mechanically.

Also be sure that your samples are dumbed down to 44.1kHz and not 48kHz - you don't want the "Jump" issue where the sample is 2 steps higher than the guitars
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

You should be able to get a footswitch for the unit which will allow you to start a given sequence. Barring that, keep the synth nearby and reach over to hit Play, or get the drummer a MIDI pad set to trigger the start.
            He's going to have to que the songs. If that synth can set up a que or set list then you're golden. Remember because you only have 2 outputs you'll have to assign the click to one output and the synth to another - you'll be running mono. That's why a computer with a multi output audio interface is the way to go. You assign the click to channel 3 for example and feed that to the drummer then 1/2 go to the house.
            Pulse 2AM - YouTube
            Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

One thing I never liked about live synths was they were pumped stereo while the guitars were mono. That made the synths overpower everything, and when they're all through the song, you can't hear the guitar.

If you're not doing swirly panning synth effects that require left-to-right sweeps, I'd say go mono and let the drummer have the click.
              Originally posted by Brown Note
              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
              My Blog

Comment

One thing I never liked about live synths was they were pumped stereo while the guitars were mono. That made the synths overpower everything, and when they're all through the song, you can't hear the guitar.
                They have to be mixed right by the house.
                Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Thank you for the tips, guys. I appreciate them very much. I do believe my synth can be programmed with a song list. I hope so because it takes a few moments to upload them from disk, ha ha. It will be fun trying though.

Comment

Working...
                  X