drop C question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drop C question

So I starting playing in Drop C( i normally play half step down but my new metal band is drop c) and if we have a song were playing in drop c is it in the key of c? or d? I just need to know this because we're playing Ex's and Oh's(atreyu cover) next friday and i wanna make my own solo for my part :P

Thank you
    88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
    Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
    Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
    Vox NightTrain 50.
    My Band

Re: drop C question

The tuning of the guitar doesn't decide what key a song is in. You can play in any key in any tuning, it just depends where on the neck you're playing and what notes you hit.

I had a quick glance at the tab for that song and I think the solo is in D minor. I'm really pretty clueless about theory but that's what I think it is.
    Last edited by Kam; 05-07-2010, 08:39 PM.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
      The tuning of the guitar doesn't decide what key a song is in. You can play in any key in any tuning, it just depends where on the neck you're playing and what notes you hit.

I had a quick glance at the tab for that song and I think the solo is in D minor. I'm really pretty clueless about theory but that's what I think it is.
      Thanks I'll try and just play a solo over it to see if it sounds good
      Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
      Vox NightTrain 50.
      My Band

Comment

Its actually in C minor but in the D minor position...if you know what I mean.

Comment

No problem, dude. Like I said, I'm probably wrong anyway.

If you can record the rhythm guitar part to play over you'll be able to get something decent in no time. You'll be able to tell if it's out of key and come up with some cool ideas so you don't have to completely improv the whole thing when you do it live or in practice.

What you could do is take a look at the tab yourself and try to include a lot of the same notes as the original so that it has the same sort of vibe as the original but then totally put your own spin on it. Maybe even some of the main licks as well. Best of luck, anyway.
          I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by frtbzz View Post
            Damn it, I said C minor originally and then went back and changed it!! ****, that's typical.

Comment

Originally posted by frtbzz View Post
              that starts on the 12th low e and 10th for the rest right?( im talking about the main box)
              Vox NightTrain 50.
              My Band

Comment

If by main box you mean Minor Pentatonic then yeah.

Comment

This is a great tool that could be really helpful to you:

Just enter what you want and up it pops. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Comment

with metal bands with that kind of tuning, the key is usually (USUALLY) what the low E string is open, minor.

Avenged Sevenfold? D minor. Atreyu? C minor.

Comment

Working...
                    X